Author Topic: Different Duremes?  (Read 635 times)

Inbred

Different Duremes?
« on: January 27, 2024, 08:12:41 pm »
Is there any difference between 'normal' Schwalbe Duremes & the tandem version?
Thanks for the help 🙂

martinf

Re: Different Duremes?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 07:43:17 am »
Tandem version was stronger and stiffer, supposed to be more durable, but ordinary Duremes already last for a very long time in my experience. Downside is higher rolling resistance, don't know if this is significant or not.

https://www.bikeroar.com/products/schwalbe/marathon-dureme-tandem-2012  Note the date.

I still have some in service, but it's been a few years since I have seen any Duremes for sale anywhere.

in4

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 08:30:49 am »
I use a pair of ‘tandem ready’ Duremes on my Nomad. I picked them up in a sale a few years ago. Yes, they are tough and they were quite challenging to seat properly. They have a slightly narrower profile compared to Mondials so perhaps very marginally not as good on broken/muddy surfaces. That said,on sealed surfaces I’ve found them very comfortable. I used them on my Chester UK to Lagos PT ride last year.
If you can source a pair they are well worth considering.

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 10:35:02 am »
I agree with the others, several years ago I bought a Dureme on sale on-line and was bummed to get a much heavier stiffer tire in the mail, it was labeled Tandem Ready.

I have an old 2012 copy of their catalog on my hard drive.  I attached a screen shot from page 36, that suggests a Tandem (double carcass) version, a wired bead version and the standard folding bead version.

All three versions are different weight.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 10:49:24 am by mickeg »