Author Topic: Welcome Back!  (Read 1996 times)

RonS

Welcome Back!
« on: November 13, 2023, 04:39:55 pm »
I’m sure we have all missed our favourite forum these past weeks.
To all the people who worked so hard to fix whatever had gone wrong, a big thank you!

Andyb1

Re: Welcome Back!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 04:45:39 pm »
I thought it was just me…..
Thanks to whoever fixed it.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 04:50:03 pm »
I had been worried that this extremely useful fount of knowledge (particularly for matters relating to Rohloff as well as Thorn bikes in general) had disappeared into a black hole.

I wonder what happened?

energyman

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 05:03:11 pm »
I Blame Brexit ..........
Thanks to the fixers.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 05:23:25 pm »
Great to be back with my friends here.

I'd be interested to know what went wrong.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Tiberius

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 05:53:33 pm »
I Blame Brexit ..........

How wonderfully predictable.

Glad we are back up and running. Many thanks to all concerned.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 07:24:33 pm »
Welcome back in turn, Everyone!  :)

Briefly: It was a server-side and database issue, not a user problem. There was some corruption in the index files and it took awhile to also sort things with the host/provider and get support tickets addressed by other entities.

The Forum is now back up and this frees resources to further tackle the mail problem, as sending to certain domains remains problematic due to incompatibilities with changing standards.

You are all valued and treasured, for it is the membership that really makes this community and is so appreciated!

Best, Dan. (...and Adrian at Thorn)

Dave B

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2023, 07:49:16 pm »
Phew, I am glad forums back

mickeg

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2023, 08:07:47 pm »
Thanks Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2023, 10:29:23 pm »
We all made a contribution -- by not getting underfoot of men working!

Moronic

• Amazon.com Bongs For Steve ebook
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2023, 06:04:19 am »
Have to admit I was among those concerned the forum had fallen through a wormhole in cyberspace.

Great to see it's back on line. Pun intended.  ;D
Bongs For Steve: a lyrical novel about smoking and friendship. https://www.amazon.com.au/Bongs-Steve-I-J-Baker-ebook/dp/B0B2BRTKM2

John Saxby

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2023, 06:34:30 pm »
I was worried, I have to say:  WUDiPery* abounds, and a lot of it I ignore as the collective malevolence/malfeasance of telcoms, but this came a little too close to home...  But Normal Service has been restored, with thanks to Dan and Adrian. (Exhales.)

Nice to see you all again  :)

*WUDiP is the acronym I was forced to coin a year or so ago, beset as I was by Weird Unexplained Digital Problems.  WUDiPery is thus a cloud or collection of WUDiPs, or the habit of generating the wretched things.  No copyright on this acronym, so feel free to use it if it suits.  Tech support people (whom I talk to all too frequently) chuckle and say, "I like that."  Gotta find or make humour wherever one can, these days...

Andre Jute

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2023, 10:02:44 am »
*WUDiP is the acronym I was forced to coin a year or so ago, beset as I was by Weird Unexplained Digital Problems.  WUDiPery is thus a cloud or collection of WUDiPs, or the habit of generating the wretched things.  No copyright on this acronym, so feel free to use it if it suits.  Tech support people (whom I talk to all too frequently) chuckle and say, "I like that."  Gotta find or make humour wherever one can, these days...

Nice work, John.

Since everything a computer does is traceable to human action or lack of foresight, I also like the well-established GIGO -- garbage in, garbage out -- which performs the additional necessary lask of fixing the blame on the programmer.

The damage done, and time wasted by, changing "standards" -- as apparently happened here, or at least contributed to what may be a further problem, if I understand Dan right -- is still in search of its own snappy acronym.

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2023, 10:45:58 am »
Since everything a computer does is traceable to human action or lack of foresight, I also like the well-established GIGO -- garbage in, garbage out -- which performs the additional necessary lask of fixing the blame on the programmer.
Which reminds me of the little problem that the UK air traffic control had in August when someone submitted a flight plan with two consecutive waypoints having the same coordinates. That's a simple error that the programmer should have thought of accommodating and whoever did the testing should have definitely tried. But no! The entire system ground to a halt.