Author Topic: Seeking 26 inch rims/wheels, that are tubeless ready AND rim brake compatible  (Read 5624 times)

Dunroving

Looking for the above (in the UK) and drawing a complete blank. I have been unable to either (a) locate a set of 32h rims in order to build a set of wheels, or (b) even find an already-built set of wheels that are tubeless and rim brake compatible. I find either they are rim brake compatible but not tubeless ready/tubeless compatible or they are tubeless ready/tubeless compatible but not rim brake compatible.

Have already tried hacking a tubeless set-up on the current rims and it's not sufficiently reliable. Can anyone suggest a source of such wheels, or know of a wheel/rim make and model that meets the above needs?

WorldTourer

Tubeless tires became popular for a generation that had already moved from rim brakes to disc brakes. And high-end rim-brake rims in general are slowly being discontinued by manufacturers. I wouldn’t be surprised if what you are looking for simply doesn’t exist.

martinf

I had a look at the Ryde manufacturer's website, 5 rims in their catalogue for 26" (559) and rim brakes but none are tubeless compatible.

So I reckon WorldTourer is probably right and the rim brake/tubeless combination either doesn't exist in 26" or is extremely rare and difficult to find.

Even in the now more popular 700C (622) size there is only one Ryde rim that is both rim brake and tubeless ready - the Edge R 25 os.

And nothing with the rim brake/tubeless combination in their catalogue for the revived 650B (now called 27.5") 584 size

brummie

Do you get many punctures? I run tubeless on my MTB, but ride daily on a mixture of roads and bridleways on traditional tyres and inner tubes and rarely get any flats. Maybe I'm lucky? Mostly use Panaracer Tourguards and lighter Continental Speed Contacts for all but winter duties.

PH

Dunroving

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone. Just some brief replies to some of your comments:

(1) Yes, I had begun to realise that my needs fall into whatever is the opposite of a "sweet spot," due to the timing of changes in technology (towards disc brakes, away from 26", and towards tubeless).

(2) Thanks for the link to the old thread, PH. I had search for tubeless in the forum, but the thread title of that thread hadn't pulled me towards it.

(3) The main thing drawing me towards tubeless is that for the first time a year ago, I switched to tubeless on another bike and have lost count of the number of times I've been with groups who have had to stop for punctures and I've not had to has really impressed me. But I've managed to get through several decades fixing punctures in inner tubes that it won't kill me if I don't find anything.

(4) I followed the link in the older thread to the Velocity Cliffhangers, but it looks at the moment like they no loner sell rim brake compatible in 26". I've emailed them and will post what I find.

(5) Have found one wheelset that looks like it may work - disc brake compatible, but with a machined rim that will accept rim brakes. It's a set of Pro-Lite Sport MD-10s, built in Taiwan. They are pretty inexpensive (< £150 for a set), which makes me wonder about the quality, but I'm looking into it further.

Will post updates and eventual outcome for anyone who finds this thread at a later date.

Dunroving

Thanks for the replies so far, everyone. Just some brief replies to some of your comments:

(1) Yes, I had begun to realise that my needs fall into whatever is the opposite of a "sweet spot," due to the timing of changes in technology (towards disc brakes, away from 26", and towards tubeless).

(2) Thanks for the link to the old thread, PH. I had search for tubeless in the forum, but the thread title of that thread hadn't pulled me towards it.

(3) The main thing drawing me towards tubeless is that for the first time a year ago, I switched to tubeless on another bike and have lost count of the number of times I've been with groups who have had to stop for punctures and I've not had to has really impressed me. But I've managed to get through several decades fixing punctures in inner tubes that it won't kill me if I don't find anything.

(4) I followed the link in the older thread to the Velocity Cliffhangers, but it looks at the moment like they no loner sell rim brake compatible in 26". I've emailed them and will post what I find.

(5) Have found one wheelset that looks like it may work - disc brake compatible, but with a machined rim that will accept rim brakes. It's a set of Pro-Lite Sport MD-10s, built in Taiwan. They are pretty inexpensive (< £150 for a set), which makes me wonder about the quality, but I'm looking into it further.

Will post updates and eventual outcome for anyone who finds this thread at a later date.

Update: I just received an interesting reply from one retailer: "I do have some cliff hanger 'disc' rims in stock.  They are actually the same rim but without machining on the braking surface.  So while the braking from new isn't as effective, you can brake on them and over time they end up with the same performance anyway"

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but I thought that disc brake compatible rims were thinner and that is why they are unsuitable for rim brakes?

- have also checked the Velocity US Web site, and it looks like they do make what I'm looking for, but I just need to find a UK retailer that has them!

mickeg

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but I thought that disc brake compatible rims were thinner and that is why they are unsuitable for rim brakes?

- have also checked the Velocity US Web site, and it looks like they do make what I'm looking for, but I just need to find a UK retailer that has them!

I think Velocity rims that are disc only are only painted, not machined.  I have machined rims on my Lynskey for rim brakes.  As far as I know, their disc brake rims that are the same models as rim brake rims would have thicker rim sidewalls on the disc version.  Not sure if I am clear here, my Lynskey has Velocity Dyad rims, they are machined for rim brake use, but they also sell Dyad rims that are not machined for disc use, and the disc version should have thick sides on them for a braking surface.  (The Dyad is a tube type rim.)  Their A23 is a tubeless type, but that might be for a narrower tire than you want.
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/a23-559
https://www.velocityusa.com/tech/rims/

Dunroving

I think Velocity rims that are disc only are only painted, not machined.  I have machined rims on my Lynskey for rim brakes.  As far as I know, their disc brake rims that are the same models as rim brake rims would have thicker rim sidewalls on the disc version.  Not sure if I am clear here, my Lynskey has Velocity Dyad rims, they are machined for rim brake use, but they also sell Dyad rims that are not machined for disc use, and the disc version should have thick sides on them for a braking surface.  (The Dyad is a tube type rim.)  Their A23 is a tubeless type, but that might be for a narrower tire than you want.
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/a23-559

Interestingly, I came across two additional sources of information yesterday. First was a phone call from a wheel builder who I know from a mutual friend. He said he thought the "un-machined" Velocity Cliffhanger rims weren't flat enough to accommodate the brake pads comfortably (he's built wheels with the VC before).

Then I came across two YouTube videos of a tour of Velocity's factory - very interesting! In the second video, they discussed the machining process and, as you indicated, this does result in the rim brake rim being very slightly thinner - so the structure of the VC rim is the same regardless of whether they are intended for rim brake or disc brake wheels (which is quite different if memory serves, from many rims - where disc brake rims are thinner in order to achieve lighter weight). In the video, he described how you can brake using the anodised surface (disc brake rim), and it will eventually wear off. However, he described an additional benefit of using the machined rim - if there is any slight bump where the rim joint is located, this will cause increased pad wear, and a slight hiccup every time the pad goes over the rim joint. Interesting ...

Video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y56TgT6jd9A  (section on machining the rim starts at about 23:23)

PH

so the structure of the VC rim is the same regardless of whether they are intended for rim brake or disc brake wheels (which is quite different if memory serves, from many rims - where disc brake rims are thinner in order to achieve lighter weight).
At one time the braking surface of all rims was un-machined, it was expected that you'd ride them smooth and they'd improve with use.  Then manufacturers would offer a choice, some riders preferred perfect from day one, others hung onto the idea that they weren't going to pay more for less! Disc brake users could choose either.  Until disc brakes became popular, it wasn't worthwhile creating new rims for them.  Now it is and you'd expect a disc specific rim to be made from a unique extrusion.  With no need for a brake track, you can build a rim that's both lighter and stronger, though in reality the differences might be overestimated.

martinf

Re: Seeking 26 inch rims/wheels, that are tubeless ready AND rim brake compatible
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2023, 12:35:45 pm »
However, he described an additional benefit of using the machined rim - if there is any slight bump where the rim joint is located, this will cause increased pad wear, and a slight hiccup every time the pad goes over the rim joint.

I had a rim with a pronounced step at the joint, enough to be really annoying when braking.

I filed it more or less flat, and then let the brake pads finish the work.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 03:40:08 pm by martinf »

mickeg

Re: Seeking 26 inch rims/wheels, that are tubeless ready AND rim brake compatible
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2023, 01:07:21 pm »
I mentioned above that my Lynskey has Velocity Dyad (tube type) rims, I built up that bike with rim brake front, disc rear, but for aesthetics I put a rim brake rim on both front and rear so the wheels would match.  So, spent a few extra bucks for the machined rim in back where a disc is used.

I listed this link in a previous post:

That listed the Cliffhanger rim as disc or rim brake, unlike some of their other rims that are disc only.

The Cliffhanger is available in a rim brake version.
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/cliff-hanger-559

That is a pretty wide rim, but if you are mostly using 45 to 65mm tires, go for it.

Dunroving

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2023, 10:19:17 am »
I mentioned above that my Lynskey has Velocity Dyad (tube type) rims, I built up that bike with rim brake front, disc rear, but for aesthetics I put a rim brake rim on both front and rear so the wheels would match.  So, spent a few extra bucks for the machined rim in back where a disc is used.

I listed this link in a previous post:

That listed the Cliffhanger rim as disc or rim brake, unlike some of their other rims that are disc only.

The Cliffhanger is available in a rim brake version.
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/cliff-hanger-559

That is a pretty wide rim, but if you are mostly using 45 to 65mm tires, go for it.

Will be going with the Cliffhanger machined rim, 26", 32H - if I can get them! Velocity has offered to ship for me, which I considered for about one minute. For some odd reason, they are more expensive that way ($285 [£228] inc. shipping and handling - though presume possibly could also be hit with customs charges?) UK and EU suppliers are listing them at £130 for a pair, except I can't find any in stock so far. Brick Lane are their official UK distributor, but they checked the warehouse and couldn't find any.

Will be running 60C tyres.

mickeg

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2023, 10:53:27 am »
Will be going with the Cliffhanger machined rim, 26", 32H - if I can get them! Velocity has offered to ship for me, which I considered for about one minute. For some odd reason, they are more expensive that way ($285 [£228] inc. shipping and handling - though presume possibly could also be hit with customs charges?) UK and EU suppliers are listing them at £130 for a pair, except I can't find any in stock so far. Brick Lane are their official UK distributor, but they checked the warehouse and couldn't find any.

Will be running 60C tyres.

Maybe SJS should start selling Velocity rims?

hendrich

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2023, 02:37:53 am »
Tubeless ready = difficult to mount. The switch is market/bling driven. Oooh, but "autos use tubeless".... ugh!  I am happy with Ryde Andra. Perhaps someone is riding off road in goathead thorn country. Yes, tubeless is then useful in that very specific region. When we ride in Arizona, tubes are fine, no punctures in 4 years, but we avoid off road and check for thorns.