Author Topic: Thorn Nomad MK1?  (Read 1147 times)

flocsy

Thorn Nomad MK1?
« on: July 17, 2023, 03:58:12 pm »
Hi,

I corresponded with someone who's selling a Nomad MK1 on facebook. When I asked him to send me the serial number he sent: A1582000. This doesn't look like the other serial numbers I saw so far. Is this really a thorn bike?

brummie

Re: Thorn Nomad MK1?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 06:41:21 pm »
The MK1 listed in Taunton,? Serial o is probably LA****** other numbers refer to date and size.  It looks like a 560m/l.
Edit: I see there is also one listed in Abergavenny which looks bigger !
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 06:45:01 pm by brummie »

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 08:27:26 pm »
Be careful when communicating with someone that says they have a Nomad Mk I.  Some people assume that the older Nomads that were brazed in the UK and fitted with derailleurs are Mk I, which is inaccurate.

Mk I Nomad is very similar to Mk II, but Mk II has some extra reinforcing where the downtube meets the headtube.  You can see that extra metal welded onto the downtube and headtube in the photo.

I am not sure if all of the Mk I Nomads had S&S couplers or not, they might have.  That was an option for Mk II.

PH

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 11:31:32 pm »
Mk I Nomad is very similar to Mk II, but Mk II has some extra reinforcing where the downtube meets the headtube. 
Was it ever marketed as a Mk1?  It's normally a name attributed to the original after a Mk2 has been released.  Thorn have confused the issue by having two different Nomads prior to the Mk2.  Well, confusing on paper, it's pretty straightforward in reality - There was derailleur Nomad, the original Rohloff Nomad, Nomad Mk2, Mk3.  Not always easy to work out what's being discussed, simple enough when you're looking at one.   

PH

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 11:38:56 pm »
I've looked on facebook marketplace and can see two old derailleur Nomads. £650 for one with component and frame surface rust, £350 for one that is incomplete but looks a lot cleaner.  They both look like overpriced projects to me, if everything else was just what I was looking for I might be tempted, I wouldn't expect to be riding either before some time on the workstand.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 01:42:14 am »
Mk I Nomad is very similar to Mk II, but Mk II has some extra reinforcing where the downtube meets the headtube. 
Was it ever marketed as a Mk1?  ...

I think it was, but it has been years and my memory could be in error.

When I think of a Mk I, I think of this bike:
https://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/tag/thorn-nomad/

Word search found two hits for Mk I.

Same bike:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/vikapproved/sets/72157616802557037/

But, back then they also called it the Raven Nomad (or was in Nomad Raven?), I think the Raven was meant to mean Rohloff version, not derailleur.  But since the frame was not so labeled, the word Raven disappeared from common use when talking about the Nomad.

flocsy

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 07:46:51 am »
The MK1 listed in Taunton,? Serial o is probably LA****** other numbers refer to date and size.  It looks like a 560m/l.

I didn't find any in Taunton. I am talking about this: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/657218112533642/ So if part of the serial is the date then that explains the 2000 at the end. But what size it could be then?  I thought that all the serials are in the <size><some_other_numbers> format, but this is A1582000.

brummie

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 08:47:07 pm »

I didn't find any in Taunton. I am talking about this: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/657218112533642/ So if part of the serial is the date then that explains the 2000 at the end. But what size it could be then?  I thought that all the serials are in the <size><some_other_numbers> format, but this is A1582000.

That looks like a possible 525S ( short top tube ) to me. Sizing chart will be on this forum somewhere.

PH

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 09:51:24 pm »
I didn't find any in Taunton. I am talking about this:
I don't get on with facebook marketplace, when I searched, that one didn't come up.  It's better than the two I did find, still a lot of money for such an old bike.
I couldn't get £500 for my very good condition Hewitt tourer last year, a bike with a great reputation and the same sort of original price. Eventually broke it up and sold as parts.

flocsy

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2023, 11:06:14 pm »
I also struggle with FB marketplace. The trick is that every search is relative to your location with some radius. The location might also depend on whether you're on a phone or on desktop web. But you can change them manually, though the maximum radius is 400miles or 500km. Usually I set it to Liverpool and 400mi, that covers most of GB, though it might miss some bikes if someone would want to sell it near JoG.

In ebay the opposite seems to be true, I get results from all over the world (though not for Thorn bikes ;)