Author Topic: Does the forum notification work for you?  (Read 4649 times)

flocsy

Does the forum notification work for you?
« on: July 10, 2023, 10:01:42 pm »
Hi,

I've clicked on "Notify" in a few threads, and I see now that it reads "Unnotify" (even after I refresh the page) so I'm pretty sure it's recorded by the forum, however I have never received any notifications by email (as I would expect) even though in some of the threads there were new posts. Does this work for anyone?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Does the forum notification work for you?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 05:51:58 am »
Hi All!

I'll be watching for replies to this question. I can't always tell because mine is an Administrator account so it doesn't work the same as a user account. This is the first question about this topic that has been asked. :)

For those having problems with or missing notifications, at the top of the main board screen, go to... Profile (that will call up your user profile) > Modify Profile > Notifications...and look at the three check boxes and two options below them. Check or select the best Notification options for you. If you do this, you should get notifications when there are followups to posts you have asked to be updated on. If the boxes/options are not selected properly or at all, the result is null -- the notification will appear to take but nothing will happen because the desired path has not been specified.

All the best, Dan.
Danneaux, Thorn Cycling Forum Administrator

flocsy

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 06:08:36 pm »
Today morning I went to the Notification settings, and enabled everything. And still Now I see that there was a new post in Bikes for Sale and I did not get any notification about it. (also checked in spam foder)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 06:42:15 pm »
I see that there was a new post in Bikes for Sale and I did not get any notification about it.
Okay, I will look into it further, Flocsy. I created a user account and found Forum-triggered email was working for me, so I will look to see if there is anything unusual associated with your account and with the Forum software that triggers the failure in notifications. It may be a little while before I get back to you, but I will be checking. There is a possibility a mail-handler protocol change at our host that has messed things up, though I'm unaware of any changes.

To check if this notification problem is only affecting you or universal among members, please can someone else chime in if there are problems? Thanks!

Best, Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2023, 09:46:32 pm »
I just clicked on Notify on this thread, so I might get an answer for you.  I have never used Notify before.

flocsy

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023, 11:28:21 pm »
I just clicked on Notify on this thread, so I might get an answer for you.  I have never used Notify before.

Let's see, now I reply to your commend with a quote.

flocsy

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2023, 11:29:03 pm »
And now I reply to using the Reply button of the thread (under the last comment)

flocsy

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2023, 11:31:53 pm »
Ah, and @Danneaux, now I already had every possible setting enabled, set to immediate, so I should've get an email notification about mickeg's comment but there's no sign of any email from the forum.

mickeg

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2023, 03:04:24 am »
I have received no notification.

I did a search in all e-mails for the word thorn, if any notification was in hiding in a spam folder or some other place, I assume that my search for the word thorn would have found that.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2023, 03:30:51 am »
I have received no notification.
Thank you for the additional feedback, George; very helpful to me and I will dig a bit deeper.

Best, Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2023, 05:58:17 am »
Notifications work for me.
So perhaps not a site error?
Best
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2023, 05:17:35 pm »
Notifications work for me.
So perhaps not a site error?
Ah! This is helpful! Please, could someone else with a NON-Gmail address give it a try? Thanks! (I suspect the mail server is not setup for compatibility with Gmail protocols)

Best, Dan.

Moronic

• Amazon.com Bongs For Steve ebook
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2023, 12:49:49 pm »
Okay I've just ticked the notify box for this thread, and I'm not on gmail.

So if someone else posts I should get a notification.

Do your worst! (Remembering it's nearly bedtime where I am so even if I am notified it might be many hours before I notice my notification.)

Bongs For Steve: a lyrical novel about smoking and friendship. https://www.amazon.com.au/Bongs-Steve-I-J-Baker-ebook/dp/B0B2BRTKM2

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2023, 12:55:26 pm »
I had done that earlier and received notification of your response.
Brian.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2023, 03:17:09 pm »
Thanks, folks. Any other members able to weigh in?

I suspect the problem is in the Forum mail server settings, perhaps set to a protocol that is not compatible with the current Gmail protocols. I checked and all the Forum's backroom notification options are set correctly and working properly.

Diggin' a little deeper...  :)

Best, Dan.