Author Topic: Touring tyres: Any significant advances?  (Read 2148 times)

in4

Touring tyres: Any significant advances?
« on: July 05, 2023, 04:30:24 pm »
A new pair of touring tyres is on the shopping list. Anyone having a positive experience with anything new to the market? I’ve been happy enough with my Mondials and Duremes ( both 26 x 2 ) but I’m all ears.
TIA

mickeg

Re: Touring tyres: Any significant advances?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 05:47:21 pm »
I am sticking with tubes, not tubeless.  I assume the same for you.  I have nothing new to report on.

PH

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 07:56:07 pm »
I'd be surprised if there was anything new to the 26" market, although there's still a decent choice, it is contracting, might be worth getting an extra pair or two in stock, though opinions on storing tyres vary.
It's notable that Schwalbe's most recent models, like their new fast touring tyre, the Efficiency, touted as a Supreme replacement, isn't being offered in 26".

WorldTourer

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 08:39:01 pm »
Yeah, Schwalbe is discontinuing 26" versions of various tires. They aren't likely to introduce anything new in that size.

When it comes to the 27.5"/650B size, for the last several months I have been riding Schwalbe Pickups in the 2.60" width. Schwalbe markets these fairly new tires for e.g. cargo e-bikes, where you need extreme puncture resistance since cargo bikes have so much weight pressing down. I originally installed these for the Baja Divide on Alee Denham's recommendation, and indeed I suffered only 4 punctures on that route. But I'm going to continue riding these until they wear down, since the 2.60" width is so incredibly comfortable on bikepacking routes. Fits perfectly into the Nomad Mk3 with the Thorn Bikepacking Fork.

brummie

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 08:45:16 pm »
Maybe not the best tyre for long distance loaded touring, but at the lighter / faster end of the scale for 26" tyres, I've been running the same pair of Continental Speed Contact 26x 2" tyres for a couple of years. Lightweight and roll very well - I even take them off road. Can't recall if I've ever got a puncture either.. Think they're ideal for short lightweight trips . Panaracer Paselas would also be recommended. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 08:47:02 pm by brummie »

PH

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 09:45:14 pm »
When it comes to the 27.5"/650B size, for the last several months I have been riding Schwalbe Pickups in the 2.60" width. Schwalbe markets these fairly new tires for e.g. cargo e-bikes, where you need extreme puncture resistance since cargo bikes have so much weight pressing down.
I have those on my delivery E-bike, used for deliveries rather than built for them, I've wondered what they'd be like without the motor pushing them along. They're certainly tough, though I'm a bit surprised anyone recommends them for touring., they make most other tyres seem lightweight

martinf

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 09:03:33 am »
Good 26" touring tyres are harder to find nowadays.

In the Schwalbe range, Mondials are still available in 26" and 50 mm width. These should be good for touring on paths and tracks. The wider Mondial in 26" and 55 mm is no longer manufactured, although there may still be some old stock - I bought a pair in 2022.

Supreme and Dureme for lower rolling resistance and use mainly on roads are AFAIK no longer in production, though Thorn had a batch of 26" Duremes specially made for them a few years ago.

There is at least one model from the Continental range that seems reasonably similar to the Supreme, the Continental Contact Urban. I have this model in the 16" size in one of my Bromptons and it rolls well and seems reasonably robust. This is still in the Continental catalogue in 26" and 50 mm width, though it seems to be difficult to find. Wire bead so cheaper than the Supreme/Dureme, but not all that much heavier at 590g.

flocsy

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2023, 11:23:33 pm »
Reading this thread makes me re-think if I'm really looking for a 26" touring bike...