Author Topic: compressionless brake housing outer + polished gear inner for shifter ?  (Read 1466 times)

willywombat

Just wondering whether this might be an improvement on the standard brake outer/gear inner for the speedhub shifter cable . Is anyone running this setup ? Any reasons not to ? thanks, Bill in Devon

PH

It wouldn't offer any advantage, the force requires to shift a hub isn't enough compress a standard Bowden cable by any significant amount and the mechanism doesn't require the same precision as a derailleur.  If it was better, then standard gear cable would be specified, compressionless brake  cable is basically the same, with a strengthened sheath, of Kevlar or similar, to stop the inner bursting out under force that brakes require.
Are you dissatisfied wit the way it currently shifts? Friction is the enemy of good shifting on a Rohloff, good inners, clean outers, sweeping bends, all contribute to a smooth sift. My Airnmal folder, with a less than ideal cable run, takes a firmer twist to shift.

mickeg

I agree with Ph, compression-less is not needed.  I think the more flexible brake cable (non-compression-less) is the better choice.

If you change cables, I suggest you are careful to measure both outer lengths to be the same.  Thus, both inner cables will then be the same length.  And if you measure the final length you need for an inner cable when you install a cable, you can carry a pre-cut cable on bike tours in case you suddenly find that you need a shift cable.

I have about a half turn of slop in my cables, by that I mean that if I am in gear 10, my shifter will easily turn from 9.5 to 10.5 without starting to move the shift mechanism in the rear.  I find that works quite well and I never miss a shift which can happen if your cables are too tight.

willywombat

My setup is currently OK ..I've had it for nearly 20 yrs and rarely change /lube the cable . I have had times over the years when the shifter has undoubtedly needed more effort due to old cables/housing/dirt etc . With your advice I shall probably just change the usual brake outer /gear inner as the suggested upgrade is far more expensive and a waste of money it seems ..unless anyone else has another view ? thanks , Bill

willywombat

thanks mickeg..you seem to confirm the earlier comment ..glad I didn't waste the money . I always had a bit of slop in the shifter which slightly irritated me but I realized was necessary . Never had any mishifts that I can remember .
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 04:40:55 pm by willywombat »