Author Topic: Ticking noise from Rohloff hub - solved?  (Read 1308 times)

JohnR

Ticking noise from Rohloff hub - solved?
« on: May 14, 2023, 08:53:33 pm »
A few weeks ago I noticed a continuous ticking noise from my Rohloff hub. It seemed to be once per wheel revolution and wasn't affected by whatever gear I was in or if free-wheeling. It had me worried that the unexpected noise could be advance warning of a worsening problem such as this http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14848.0 although it's accumulated less than 9k miles in under 4 years from new.

If my memory is correct (not always true) then I had only added 15ml of oil at the last oil change in September 2022 which had me wondering if there wasn't enough oil to keep all the pawls properly lubricated. As I had an oil change planned for once warmer weather showed up I decided to add about 15ml of cleaning oil to the hub so there would be plenty of slightly less viscous oil with more opportunity to reach anything that wasn't fully lubricated. I then continued to cycle as usual and, after 20 - 30 miles, I noticed that the ticking noise had ceased (it was definitely still there after a few miles) so my remedy appears to have worked.

I did the oil change today (about 2100 miles since the previous change) and got the impression that there had been more than 15ml of oil in the hub so maybe it was the thinner oil rather than insufficient oil which was the problem. I put in 25ml of new oil just in case and intend, for future oil changes, to add some cleaning oil a week or two before a planned oil change to help flush the muck from the nooks and crannies. At previously oil changes I've only pedalled for a few minutes in mainly 3rd and 5th gears with the cleaning oil in the hub.

steve216c

Re: Ticking noise from Rohloff hub - solved?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 05:07:08 am »
Did the oil change cure the clicking?

I’m not sure if riding on the thinner cleaning oil for a week or two is such a good idea. I find the gear 3/5 routine a bit frustrating snd typically go for a 3-5km ride instead with my cleaning oil going through all the gears multiple times before draining and refilling. What I notice is that with the thinner oil that the hub is noticeably louder than with the regular’grade’ hub oil. I wonder if the cleaning properties of the cleaning oil mean that the hub is underlubricated for longer rides and might damage if left for longer periods?
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

Dunroving

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 09:57:04 am »
Might sound like a daft suggestion, but is it the pedal touching the cable? When I removed the wheel once, I got the ticking afterwards and realised that in disconnecting the control box, the cable had been pulled slightly backwards through the cable guide. That made the length of cable leading immediately to the control box to be slightly longer, bowed outwards and thereby touch the pedal on each pedal stroke. The result was a ticking sound ...

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 12:37:36 pm »
Did the oil change cure the clicking?
The ticking noise went away after 20 or more miles of running with some cleaning oil added to the normal oil that was already in the hub. Whether it was more oil or overall slightly thinner oil that fixed the problem is unknown.
I’m not sure if riding on the thinner cleaning oil for a week or two is such a good idea.
I didn't ride with only the cleaning oil in the hub - there was a mixture. Rohloff recommends using a mixture in very cold weather "It is however advised to use a mixture of All Season Oil and Cleaning Oil (50:50 mix) when operating in temperatures below -10°C" although that's a temperature well below my tolerance https://www.rohloff.de/fileadmin/rohloffde/download/werbung/prospekte/saz/EN_2010_09.pdf. However, I'm wondering whether, given that my bike lives in a garage that's on the north side of the house and gets close to freezing, whether a 75:25 oil mix might be better during the winter months.

Might sound like a daft suggestion, but is it the pedal touching the cable? When I removed the wheel once, I got the ticking afterwards and realised that in disconnecting the control box, the cable had been pulled slightly backwards through the cable guide. That made the length of cable leading immediately to the control box to be slightly longer, bowed outwards and thereby touch the pedal on each pedal stroke. The result was a ticking sound ...
I had worked through the other possible causes of the noise. It didn't stop when I was free-wheeling (not pedalling) and the frequency didn't alter when I changed gear.

PH

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2023, 09:16:24 pm »
had me wondering if there wasn't enough oil to keep all the pawls properly lubricated.
Rohloff have repeatedly said that even if all your oil was to drain out, there'd be enough left coating the parts to provide lubrication until the next due oil change.  I find in inconceivable that wouldn't include the pawls.
They've also said the disadvantage with running less oil is the hubs sound noisier.  The oil not needed for lubrication is simple acting as a sound damper (As any dodgy used care salesman will tell you) My suspicion would be the ticking is always there, what you're doing by adding or subtracting fluids is making no difference to the function, only how loudly you here it working. 

add some cleaning oil a week or two before a planned oil change to help flush the muck from the nooks and crannies.
I doubt there's ever anything of a particle size that need dislodging, whatever contamination is in the hub is going to be suspended in the oil.  Once you've mixed the cleaning fluid and oil together, there seems little point in continuing it, though I also doubt it'd do any harm.   I suspect it needs even less mixing than Rohloff dictate, it's common practice if you want the end used to do something for X time, them them it needs doing for 2X, that probably holds equally true for service intervals. 
I double flush, ever since the fist time I've not liked the colour of the cleaning fluid after the first one.  Rohloff also say it isn't needed, I'm sure they're right, but it keeps me happy.

And that's the point, whatever keeps you happy, if you dislike the ticking and 25ml of oil cures it, problem solved.  I just think from everything I've seen and heard, the experience with my own hubs, plus what Rohloff themselves say, that you're not doing any harm running on less oil.