Author Topic: Oil change filling tube  (Read 1791 times)

jzdparis

Oil change filling tube
« on: April 30, 2023, 08:55:03 am »
I thought I had this so didn't order the complete oil change kit ... now I find I have only the syringe.  I thought it would be relatively easy to improvise but not so, so any suggestions would be welcome.  I know it is something of a perennial question but the bike has (sadly) been garaged for a year - would it still be OK to ride for a while without the oil change?

Andre Jute

Re: Oil change filling tube
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 12:09:28 pm »
If I were you, I'd chance it, especially if the Rohloff HGB was properly serviced before being put up in the garage, and especially if it isn't near-new and still knocking microslivers off the gear-teeth, and service it fully at the first opportunity. At your own risk, of course.

If the bike really needs the service immediately but you burn to ride, and if you have the cleaning oil and the four seasons oil and the syringe but not the tube, you can cobble up a temporary substitute from common things found in the house. I found all of this in the photo in my study, without even going up to my studio or down to the kitchen.

Not shown: If you can find a small funnel in the kitchen or the garage with a thin tip, you're set.

Not shown: my treadmill came with a bottle of oil with a spout. Ironically, I now use a spare Rohloff syringe and tube to service the treadbed, and have long repurposed the original bottle and spout to something in my studio.

On the photo, from the left:

Earbulb -- for washing wax out of ears; this one had a fine tip that will fit the Rohloff but I cut it off to fit the fountain pens I force-clean with it. I have another one that came in a watchmaker's kit to blow dust off watch assemblies.

Fountain pen cartridge adapter -- it's even got a screw for forcing the oil into the Rohloff.

Fountain pen cartridge -- cut one end off, squeeze to load and discharge.

Eyedropper -- came with a bottle of something for my wife's cats.

Pipette -- for measuring all kinds of things in small amounts but actually holds 5ml and the tip is small enough to work and you could probably cut it a bit shorter to get a tighter fit.

Water brush, comes in all sizes -- unscrew the barrel, squeeze to load the oil, pull the brush out of the end (these things are cheap) and you have a stubby little tube that will fit the Rohloff.

Needle for people size syringe -- not required if the syringe end fits, see next item --
PLUS
People size syringe -- I begged used ones at my doctor for measuring and injecting tiny amounts of stuff into artist's paints, and was given a double handful in sterile wrappings. If you have a dog or your wife keeps cats, there may be a veterinary syringe lying around somewhere (the Rohloff one is a horse size vet's syringe, only the tube is special).

Needlenose squeeze bottle -- pull the needle out and you have a little spout that will fit the Rohloff and a squeeze bottle behind it.

Another squeeze bottle, smaller but you don't need to pull anything out to pass a useful amount of oil.

Not shown: If all else fails, get a plastic bag from the kitchen, make a much smaller hole than you think you will require in one corner, feed the corner into the Rohloff oil hole and tape that end of the bag securely to the hub, then slowly, slowly, slowly, feed the oil from the syringe into the bag. Probably messy but when all else fails...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 07:58:16 am by Andre Jute »

DIAGMONKEY

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 08:59:38 pm »
Got to be honest, I would just order a tube. It will only take a few days to arrive anyway.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/rohloff-oil-filler-tube-with-threaded-connector-8502/

It's very unlikely that you would do any damage to the hub by using it for a few days if you need to.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 10:20:38 pm »
How many miles / km has the hub accumulated since the previous oil change? Usage, particularly under adverse conditions, could mean the oil was contaminated prior to storage and may have deteriorated. I bought my first Rohloff-equipped bike brand new but several years after the bike had been assembled (based on the dates of various parts) and pedalled the bike for 1600 miles before doing an oil change.

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 02:11:30 am »
... the bike has (sadly) been garaged for a year - would it still be OK to ride for a while without the oil change?

You did not define "while" in terms of distance or time.  If you order the new fitting (I suggest ordering two), feel free to ride the bike for the week you are waiting for it to arrive.

If I fly somewhere with my bike for a tour, I leave the hub empty on the outbound flight, then add oil upon arrival at my destination.  I use an extra small syringe for that, but I needed the plastic tube and threaded piece to thread into the hub.  Thus my suggestion for an extra one.

steve216c

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 07:28:42 am »
The hub grub screw is the same screw thread as Magura rim brake filling fitting, so this might be an option you can source as alternative.

After my original syringe broke I ordered a purchased a couple of generic large syringes, some new tubing and a couple of barbs to make a replacement Rohloff oil change syringe and a spare of Magura filling if needed. I bought these barbs to fit the tubinghttps://a.aliexpress.com/_EGuzkNz
The size I got was m6x1 to 5mm.

As far as riding on old oil is concerned, unless you are heading off for a round the world tour, don’t worry about riding for a few days as is.

I bought my Rohloff bike 2nd hand from someone who had bought it from original owner but 2nd user had seldom used nor changed oil in his ownership of over a year. The original owner had provided him some history of bike including some service receipts but I had to assume at least 1 year+ without oil change given my sellers testimony and older service documents.
I rode almost 1000km before I had time to do the oil for my first change. It was likely overdue on both time since last service and also distance ridden, although latter is assumed.

Given that even with oil loss Rohloff suggest you can ride through till next service at 5000km I don’t think you’ll have the ground opening beneath you for missing the recommended service interval by a few days or even a few weeks.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 07:35:11 am by steve216c »
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

PH

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2023, 09:46:22 am »
Got to be honest, I would just order a tube. It will only take a few days to arrive anyway.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/rohloff-oil-filler-tube-with-threaded-connector-8502/

It's very unlikely that you would do any damage to the hub by using it for a few days if you need to.
Me too. Though I'm impressed (I think that's the word) with what Andre has lying around, I don't think I own anything that would act as a substitute, or maybe I just lack the imagination.
For the sake of a couple of quid, I'd also buy a second syringe and pipe, that way you can keep clean and dirty oil completely separate.

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2023, 11:44:32 am »
This:
For the sake of a couple of quid, I'd also buy a second syringe and pipe, that way you can keep clean and dirty oil completely separate.

steve216c

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2023, 06:59:01 pm »
I checked my service history on the bike today and found I’d actually done around 8000km in 18 months since last oil change. 5000 of those in past 6 months.

Bike had been riding fine despite late service. But as I had all I needed on hand, did the oil service this afternoon.

Moral of the story is that Rohloffs are pretty robust and forgiving. Don’t worry about a few days riding before your oil change. Life is too short. Ride and enjoy your bike till the syringe arrives and change it at your leisure once you have everything on hand.
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2023, 08:09:01 pm »
Moral of the story is that Rohloffs are pretty robust and forgiving. Don’t worry about a few days riding before your oil change.

I recall reading somewhere on the net about a UK chappie discussing the oil change frequency with a lad from Germany.
German lad thought it hilarious that us UK folks stuck rigourously to the annual oil change.

If of interest, I err on the safety side.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2023, 09:59:18 pm »
However, if the hub is fairly new then each oil change includes metal fragments so I err on the side of more frequently than recommended with one in the spring and one in the autumn before it gets too cold and the oil won't drain properly.

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2023, 01:30:41 am »
I might have forgotten to change my oil for one or two years.  Built up my Nomad Mk II in 2014. 

But only two years have I put a lot of wear and tear on it, those were both month long tours with a lot of heavy duty use.  Those two years were tours where I flew international with the bike and I know that the oil was changed on those years before the tour started.

The other years, I think I put less than 1000 km on it.  Some years I put studded tires on it for winter use, but some years I do not.

My 250 ml bottles still have a lot of oil remaining.