Author Topic: Twistgrip cable replacement - internal mech.  (Read 1880 times)

fmt3

Twistgrip cable replacement - internal mech.
« on: March 12, 2023, 08:18:39 pm »
My earlier post regarding this topic was not clear I think.
St Johns cycles have a YouTube vid showing replacement of cables and how to measure and cut them for correct length. This differs somewhat to the instructions given by Rohloff in the user manual.
Which should I go with?
Many thanks for help.

Best regards.

RonS

Re: Twistgrip cable replacement - internal mech.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 11:09:16 pm »
I went by the SJS YouTube video and it worked fine.
How do they differ?

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 08:29:45 am »
Ah, the twist grip, apologies Id jumped at word internal. These are easier but still require some care.  Key points are not to get them crossed over, I tend to do one at a time, make sure the shifter is taped in position or you’ll be cursing the numbers not lining up (no big deal but irritating) and don’t let the outer cable dropout of the guide when measuring.  I use the SJS video.

fmt3

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 06:11:46 pm »
The SJS video removes an additional 5mm when trimming the cable. I might start with Rohloff method and can always remove 5mm if needed!
Thanks both for your help.

Regards.

PH

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 07:05:53 pm »
Now we have two topics, you're not the only one confused, you could have clarified the first, but here's the answer written over in the other one

It all has to end up the same length, so an extra few mm on the cable can only mean and extra few mm taken up by the adjusters.  That really isn't going to be a big deal, you wouldn't want them screwed right in or right out, that probably leaves 30 - 40mm in the middle to play with (I don't have any to measure).

Top tip, nothing to do with your question, picked up from someone here or another forum - While you have the bayonet fitting undone, if you haven't already done so, replace one of the grub screws with a cap head, it makes it so much easier to undo and reattach.

fmt3

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 08:51:15 pm »
Good tip!!