Author Topic: Cable replacement internal gear mech  (Read 1423 times)

fmt3

Cable replacement internal gear mech
« on: March 12, 2023, 04:32:09 pm »
Hi.
I am looking to replace my gear cables. I have the internal gear mech.
I notice st Johns cycles instruction video differs from the instructions in the Rohloff manual regarding correct position to trim cable length. Any thoughts which is preferable?
Many thanks.

geocycle

Re: Cable replacement internal gear mech
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 07:04:03 pm »
I’m not sure which is best but I tend to use the SJS method. If you are winding the cable round the pulley yourself a useful tip is to use a big Allen key in a vice to hold it giving you two hands. A cable tie also comes in handy to stop it unwinding and the air turning blue.  It is a bit fiddly. You might also want to replace the paper gaskets at the same time.

fmt3

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 07:40:40 pm »
Thanks. I am not replacing the hub cables, but the twist grip cables.
The measuring of the correct length differs in the video to that shown in Rohloff manual.

Best regards.

PH

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 07:04:21 pm »
It all has to end up the same length, so an extra few mm on the cable can only mean and extra few mm taken up by the adjusters.  That really isn't going to be a big deal, you wouldn't want them screwed right in or right out, that probably leaves 30 - 40mm in the middle to play with (I don't have any to measure).

Top tip, nothing to do with your question, picked up from someone here or another forum - While you have the bayonet fitting undone, if you haven't already done so, replace one of the grub screws with a cap head, it makes it so much easier to undo and reattach.