Author Topic: Bayonet connectors as shift cable splitter  (Read 2280 times)

crg

Bayonet connectors as shift cable splitter
« on: December 02, 2022, 02:02:18 am »
Hi

Since the bayonet connectors are designed for the load of shifting, did anyone use a MF pair as a cable splitter for the shift cable, Rohloff or otherwise?

martinf

Re: Bayonet connectors as shift cable splitter
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 08:01:08 am »
They are cable splitters when they are used normally on a Rohloff hub with internal shifting mechanism.

For use elsewhere, they are wider than the alternatives (screw up action rather than twist and remove) I used on a splittable Moulton I once had, so I reckon they are less suitable as more likely to knock against frame tubes. Also probably more expensive.

But they should work OK for gear cables.

I wouldn't want to use the Rohloff bayonet connectors for brake cables.

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 11:53:51 am »
My Ritchey Breakaway bike has some splitters, first photo is the shifter ones under the down tube, they each have one setscrew for the cable.  But the second photo that has a brake splitter under the top tube has two set screws for better grip on the cable.

It looks like the Thorn brand ones now are Jtek ones.
http://www.jtekengineering.com/other/cable-splitter/

crg

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 05:42:32 am »
Thanks guys.

Must a cable splitter be used between cable stops brazed/attached to the frame?

Are there any models of cable splitter that can be used without cable stops?
The cable housing will butt against the cable splitter.

Note: last 2 sentences edited after the post by mickeg
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 11:46:30 am by crg »

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 09:39:16 am »
Thanks guys.

Must a cable splitter be used between cable stops brazed/attached to the frame?

Are there any models that can be used with full housing?

The only splitters I am aware of are for inner cable only.  Mechanically, it is possible to fabricate one that would work with outer housing.  But I am not aware of any that were made and sold for that purpose. 

My Nomad Mk II frame with S&S couplers had full length outer housing for brake and shifter cables, it included a splitter for the rear brake but that splitter I believe was intended to be used in the brake mechanism, not in between two pieces of outer housing.  I did not use that splitter when I built up my bike.

crg

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 11:56:39 am »
After watching Rohloff's video on using bayonet connectors, they are designed to be used with bare cable wire.

geocycle

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 03:22:43 pm »
I have these on my internal gear mech. I’d not hurry to use them elsewhere on the bike.  The cable into the male end is 0.9 mm, the female receives 1.1 mm. Also the length of the cable needs to be fairly accurate to have enough to be held by the tiny grub screws and not too much so it extends to far through the female connection.  I don’t mind the internal mech but this is a bit of a weak part of the design IMO.