Author Topic: Grub screw size for gear cable bayonet?  (Read 1997 times)

steve216c

Grub screw size for gear cable bayonet?
« on: November 15, 2022, 06:23:19 pm »
Does anyone know the size of the grub screw on the gear cable bayonet (old size)?

Cheers,
Steve
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

UKTony

Re: Grub screw size for gear cable bayonet?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 08:59:47 pm »
I don’t have an internal gear mech’d hub and not sure if this refers to the headless screws.

http://www.sjscycles.com/Instructions/Rohloff/Rohloff_Axle_Ring_Instructions.pdf

Section 1.2 step 2 says,
‘Unscrew the male connectors from the hub cables (M4x4-2mm Allen key) and ………..”

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 09:35:21 pm »
Definitely 2mm
And don't drop it....
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

steve216c

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 10:22:39 pm »
It’s the 2mm one I have. So this is M4 size?

I did drop one but luckily found it again. But the hex fitting is a bit worn and getting it tight is a challenge. So I’m thinking of getting a few spare compatible grub screws so I can drop them at my leisure and hold cable more firmly

PH

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 11:20:56 pm »
I don't know the answer, but i do know if you have one and know the size of Allen key that fits you can wok back from that:
https://www.arunfasteners.co.uk/which-allen-key-should-i-use-for-the-socket-screw-i-am-using/
There are some oddities for specific tasks but they'd be clearly marked and over around 10mm the same key might fit two sizes, but neither of those apply here.

When I had an external mech, I replaced one of the grub screws with a cap head, no disadvantage other than not as sleek, it just made gripping it to attach or detach so much easier.

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2022, 06:27:35 pm »
Hi Steve, 

When I was riding my Raven, I found the standard 2mm M4 hex-key fixing studs for the snap connectors to be a bother to use. (Fingers cold, or greasy, etc.)

So, I bought a bunch of studs which are 6mm in length, which hence stand about 3-4mm proud of the surface of the snap connector.  That makes the twist/release movement much easier.

Happy to send you some if you like -- send me a PM if so, with your postal addr & the number you need.

As a variant on that solution:  I also bought some barrel-head 2mm hex-key studs.  They were if anything even easier to use than the 6mm items.  Unfortunately, I have none of those left, but a decent fastener supplier should have some.

Cheers,  John

steve216c

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 09:36:37 pm »
Thanks for the offer John. As a hoarder I may have something M4 thread in one of those jam jars I’m sure many of us have. I’d not considered non grub screw alternatives or longer grub screws to make the fittings less fiddly than they are even if looking a little less chic.

I’ll try to have a look this weekend and let you know

Cheers
Steve

steve216c

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2022, 01:23:47 pm »
UPDATE: I needed to replace my Magura rim pads today, and keep all ‘non-Shimano’ bike bits or special tools in my ‘Rohloff’ box. While rummaging for some new pads I came also across a packet with 4 m4-4mm grub screws.

The mystery is that I don’t recall ever purchasing them and have no idea where they might have come from.

Long story short, I replaced the grub screw with poor  gripping allen key head with one of the found ones and all is hopefully well for next time I have reason to adjust them. BUT I will definitely look out for something suitable in M4 with an external head to make it less fiddly to tighten next time.

mickeg

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2022, 02:36:37 pm »
Some of the better hardware stores in my community have boxes of small tools, like allen wrenches and maybe a different wrench might fit it better.