Author Topic: New bike must haves  (Read 1724 times)

SimonTodd

New bike must haves
« on: November 13, 2022, 04:10:50 pm »
Just about to order a new Raven Twin tandem. Obs with Rohloff and S&S, This is my 1st tandem and also my 1st Thorn. Are there any must haves or recommended upgrades?
Simon

brummie

Re: New bike must haves
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 08:36:05 pm »
Suspension seatpost for the stoker.

PH

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 08:58:43 pm »
The big decision before it's built (Apart from the colour) is whether to go for a dynamo or not, it's a much smaller upgrade cost than adding it later.
Once you have the bike, it's worth protecting where cables or luggage may rub with decent tape, I use 3M HS8671, there are others but not everything sold as "Helicopter tape" is the same.
Apart from that, I'd be guided by Thorn's vast experience, hope it's everything you wish for.

in4

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 09:18:25 pm »
Personally I don't like the piggy- back connectors with Son hubs but believe there's a co-ax type option. With hindsight I'd have chosen that. Other than that I'm pleased I chose a hub over batteries option.

hendrich

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 10:21:13 pm »
Yes, rohloff & SS are wonderful for a tandem. Although it will add significant cost, you may wish to consider additional SS couplers to be able to break the bike apart into smaller pieces that can fit into cases.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 09:04:22 pm »
Last time I looked at the catalogue which was some time ago the tandem was Rohloff only and S&S couplers were standard, I don't think that you could opt out of either.

I presume that disc brakes are also now standard?

I also presume no more 26" wheels?

il padrone

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2022, 06:09:09 am »
From www.thorncycles.co.uk/bikes:  "There’s no standard specification of Raven Twin Mk3 Tandem." But yes, it is Rohloff-only, and S&S couplers are now fitted as standard.

In years past I would have said to get a tandem frame to take an Arai drum-brake however these are no longer sold, and the Thorn Raven Mk3 tandem has V-brakes as well as rear disc-brake. You need all the braking power you can muster, especially if you plan to do any camping touring on it. Get mudguards of course, a second mirror for the stoker, and consider where you can mount a kit-bag (like a handlebar bag) for the stoker. A SON28 dynohub is to be recommended for reliable, always-ready lights, and I would strongly recommend Brooks saddles for long-term riding comfort. But do NOT buy the shorter "ladies" version for a woman... Thorn is right that the short design is only to prevent skirt-snag, and a longer rail will always give more spring to the saddle.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 06:38:31 am by il padrone »