Author Topic: More Thorn days-today-.  (Read 4068 times)

john28july

More Thorn days-today-.
« on: October 16, 2007, 03:42:44 pm »

jags

Re: More Thorn days-today-.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 05:56:27 pm »
hey john is that tent the  hilleberg akto,parked next to
your fantastic sherpa,,what about a review on both ,
(no holes barred)..

john28july

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 09:10:49 am »
quote:
Originally posted by jags

hey john is that tent the  hilleberg akto,parked next to
your fantastic sherpa,,what about a review on both ,
(no holes barred)..

Hello,
No holds barred? Thats me being my usual self!
Anyhow, the Thorn Sherpa is great, in fact so great I sold my Thorn Nomad (Deraileur model). The Hilleberg Akto is fantastic and you will never wrench it from my grip. I used both the Sherpa and the Akto on my last camping trip as you obviously could see in some of my pictures. Both were brilliant. I have owned the Akto for about 3 Years and have no complaint at all.
I do have another tent, a Vaude Hogan which is somewhat larger. I use it when going on car assisted trips as its larger and gives me a bit more space as I use it in the Winter and the darkness comes earlier. I need to have more room so that I can read etc before going to sleep. Of course as with bikes one can never have to many tents!
Sleeping bag? North Face Down/ Mountain Equipment Down/ Rab Synthetic.
Stoves MSR Dragonfly/ Trangia large/ Trangia Mini/ MSR Superfly.
Cooking pans MSR Titanium/ MSR Stainless.
Other items.I could go on but I won't.
Happy days,
John.........

jags

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 11:26:12 am »
thanks john,
i enjoy all your postings,
great bikes, and now great tent.
as im new to this touring ,im trying to
get all information i can ,,from people who know ,
great reading what gear you have and your thoughts on it  
im in the prosess of building up my new sherpa,,
need all the  inside info on what works  ,

Fred A-M

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 12:51:55 pm »
I too enjoy John's postings though possibly for different reasons ;-)

bobs

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 05:37:46 pm »
Have to agree with John's choices regarding a Sherpa, Hilleberg Atko and Trangia stove. All first class stuff designed to last and provide great service. (I have all these too but have yet to use them as much as John does).

Bob

Fred A-M

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 12:37:38 pm »
I find most of your postings quite unintentionally comical but I do respect the fact that you are totally into your bikes.  

What I've also learnt to respect is that all of us on this forum have competely different ways of relating to cycling but that's not necessarily a bad thing: each to their own!

Fred A-M

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 02:04:14 pm »
John, I really don't want to say anything that you might construe as offensive because we've been down that road already, but yes, comical.  

Comical in your unbridled enthusiasm for your bikes might be the best way of putting it, but that's just my perception and maybe I have a sense of humour that's not easily shared by all.

Fred A-M

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 02:23:54 pm »
There's nothing comical about your collection of very nice bikes per se, except possibly for the photo of a bike in what appears to be a public toilet, if it's still there?

john28july

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 02:29:15 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Fred A-M

There's nothing comical about your collection of very nice bikes per se, except possibly for the photo of a bike in what appears to be a public toilet, if it's still there?

That particular picture was taken and shown, to promote safekeeping of my property! No lock with me on the day and I really needed that little room.I too find that one humorous. Thank you for the kind comments about my bikes. I still find comical a strange thing though.
John.

Fred A-M

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 02:54:45 pm »
No worries.  

Let's just say that if one is really really into or obsessed by something (good or bad), one can sometimes lose perspective on how one might be perceived by others!  

We're all prone so hopefully you won't take this as anything personal in trying to clarify that in the above context, I simply find the way you communicate your infatuation with Thorn bikes amusing!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 02:57:02 pm by Fred A-M »

Fred A-M

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 04:59:46 pm »
John

I think you've taken what I've said the wrong way but I stand by what I've said - use of "one" was meant to depersonalise, and make the situation applicable to all, myself included!  

If I say you are infatuated with your bikes, it's not meant as a critical comment, I'm glad they give you so much pleasure, understandably so given the above and I still find your contributions amusing by and large!

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 05:02:59 pm by Fred A-M »

Fred A-M

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 05:26:53 pm »
I'm not suggesting that you change anything at all, I'm perfectly happy with being amused: You invited an explanation so I was just trying to help you understand why that is so without causing any offence!  

Humour is a very subjective thing so let's leave it at that!

jags

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 07:40:35 pm »
ah lads, this hole seems to be getting bigger ,by the minute,.
lets talk bikes,

Fred A-M

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 05:31:55 pm »
John, I'm curious to know why you have deleted your posts, which leaves this thread looking as if I've conducted a lengthy monologue with myself!?  I find this a little odd but each to his own I guess!