Author Topic: I have just aquired a Thorn Sterling, how many more out there?  (Read 1529 times)

Mark Manley

I have just aquired a Thorn Sterling, how many more out there?
« on: October 05, 2022, 07:07:58 am »
Not quite true as according to Parcelforce tracking it should be with me later today but I won the Sterling frameset that finished on Ebay last Friday and look forward to tidying it up and building a complete bike. My question is does anyone else on the forum have one and is there any record of how many were made? It looks to me like a very versatile bike but there seem to be few out there.
I did consider one back in 2008 when I was looking for an on/off road touring bike and visited SJS cycles to have a look at one but in the end travelled up to Croydon to be measured for a Roberts Roughstuff, a superb bike which has taken me on many adventures and I still own, I look forward to comparing the two and perhaps writing a back to back comparison, my Roughstuff also has front suspension which I have not seen on another.

in4

Re: I have just aquired a Thorn Sterling, how many more out there?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 10:25:31 am »
Rafiki, of this Parish has one and posts occasionally. I’m sure he’d be happy to share his Sterling experiences. Think he rides in Spain.

rafiki

• rafikiPHOTO
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 05:54:39 pm »
Present. :)
Mine was built in 2009 and still going strong. Due to my advancing years I had SJS fit a Pendix to her when we were last in UK.
Brian.

Mark Manley

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 03:12:55 pm »
My frameset arrived yesterday after I missed the first attempted delivery the day before, the lesson being do not trust the Ebay link to tracking, paste the number into the Parcelforce website for a more accurate update.

The seller who was possibly the original owner had packed it nicely and left on the tape he had put on to protect the paintwork, it took some getting off but I thought it showed a caring owner and the paint was good underneath, there were a few cycle parts including crankset and seatpost.

I had all of the parts to build it up so quickly put it together for a test ride, my Roberts has a Rohloff hub but this one is only getting a Sturmey Archer 5 speed which might get an upgrade at some point, most of the other parts are Hope including the disc brakes which were left over from an Orange Five I had tried but not really liked. There is already a 36 tooth chainring on order as I like low gearing and the 5 speed has quite a limited range, that 48 tooth looks huge to me.

I am pleased to say I can replicate my prefered upright riding position, a little more fettling and smaller chainring and I hope to take it for a longer test ride and perhaps an overnight trip somewhere before the days get too short.

PH

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 04:02:05 pm »
Fast work! I don't think I've ever managed a frame out the box and built up and ridden in less than a week!
Looks great, as does your Roberts, be interesting to hear how different they are, do you have different intentions for them, or just fancy some change?  Nothing wrong with having similar bikes, though for me it increases the indecision about which to use for whatever ride...
Roberts did an about turn on Rohloffs, I approached them when considering one before Thorn produced the Raven, Chas did everything to persuade me otherwise, if it hadn't been Thorn's 100 day trial offer I'd have been put off for life!

Mark Manley

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2022, 07:49:57 am »
Fast work! I don't think I've ever managed a frame out the box and built up and ridden in less than a week!
Looks great, as does your Roberts, be interesting to hear how different they are, do you have different intentions for them, or just fancy some change?  Nothing wrong with having similar bikes, though for me it increases the indecision about which to use for whatever ride...
Roberts did an about turn on Rohloffs, I approached them when considering one before Thorn produced the Raven, Chas did everything to persuade me otherwise, if it hadn't been Thorn's 100 day trial offer I'd have been put off for life!

I was like a kid on Christmas day after missing the first delivery, all the parts were laid out ready to bolt on.

I thought it would be interesting to compare the two and see if the extra money it cost for fully bespoke was worth it, it was very satisfying choosing every component and discussing the smallest details of what I wanted so no regrets about my choice. I have never let the price hold me back from taking the Roberts to out of the way places, it has travelled most of the tracks, byways and bridleways in East Devon and West Dorset plus longer trails such as The South Downs Way, The Ridgeway and most of the canals south of Birmingham as well as tour of Western India and Southeast Asia. The value has made me nervous of stopping at some towns and cities I would have liked to walk around which would not be a problem with the Thorn.

There was no discouragement about my choice of a Rohloff from Roberts, I was put onto them by a German cyclist I met in Sudan, he and two others were heading south riding the length of Africa and I was heading north on a motorcycle having ridden up from Cape Town and he told me they were the business. I was asked if I really wanted front suspension and such an upright position but was positive about that and again it has proven to be a good choice.

I hope to post up a review with proper comparison after a few rides which will hopefully include an overnight camp if I can get one in before the days get too short.