Author Topic: Audax returns to France  (Read 2198 times)

lewis noble

Audax returns to France
« on: October 01, 2022, 10:12:29 pm »
Hello everyone

It’s been quite a while since I posted here: for a whole variety of personal and health reasons during the pandemic and since, my Audax has hardly turned a wheel for about 3 years.  And as we all know, it is hard to get going again - a ride in May along a Derbyshire old-railway trail left me knackered after 20 miles, and even quite a small residual respiratory deficit can be a problem as we get older.

But in September, we returned to two of our favourite haunts in France - Jura and Ventoux.

First main stop was at a campsite we have visited many times, Domaine de Chalain between Doucier and Champagnole.  Sheltered, good lake for swimming, which my wife loves (the warmest ever this year) and good cycling country; good road surfaces, minor roads gradually winding over the hills, quiet French villages.  We did some decent rides up into the hills, then mostly coasting back to base.

I plan to attach a photo, Audax in foreground, overlooking Lac du Narlay, Le Frasnois, Jura.

This sort of terrain suits me well now, long moderate gradients, I just settle into Mode des Ploddeurs at the bottom, and keep going up.  I never got down to my bottom gear (around 17” I think), but the Audax feels very stable at 3 mph speeds on the steeper stretches.

Another day, we made an early start, rode into Champagnole, local train to Morbier; up on a main road to the top of a col, undulating to the Pic d’Aigle, then a lovely swoop back to the campsite.

After about a week, we decided to move on, to another favourite of mine - the Sault plateau near Ventoux.  A few years ago, we did get up Ventoux, it felt a real achievement.  My main target was to ride the Gorge du Nesque again; ascending from Villes sur Auzon to Monieux, then on to Sault.  This is about my favourite ride ever - the road twisting round the hills, the scenery of rocky scrub and vineyards lower down gradually unfolding as you climb.  We turned off at Monieux, and returned via La Gabelle, and did the same route in reverse the following day, seemed harder.  About 30 miles, around 700m of climbing, not much by Thorn standards, but enough for us and we felt a great sense of achievement. 

The main problem on the Gorge du Nesque this time was the large number of motorcycle groups, and also supercars - Ferraris, Alpines etc.  Much more of a problem than when we did it a few years ago.

I think we rather regretted leaving the Jura, but ran out of time and made our way home.

A good trip!!

Lewis

P.S.  Tried to post 2 photos, but despite resizing, both still too large.  Will work on it.

PH

Re: Audax returns to France
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 10:03:11 am »
Lovely report and looking forward to the photos.  I don't really know the region at all, I've driven through it a couple of times, but never cycled there, sounds wonderful, I'll put it on the list. I like the idea of fixed base touring, I've never done that with a bike, riding up and coasting back sounds like a great way to spend the day.
Like you, my riding fell away over the pandemic, that and illness were genuine causes, but now I need to shake off the excuses and get the miles up and the kg down!

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 10:41:32 am »
Lovely description of beloved countryside, Lewis. I can picture it from your description, a really tough test.

The last three messages are recommendations of near-automatic photo-resizers for Windows PCs and Macs from Martin, Julk and me:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13133

Very useful, fully linked-up, discussion of sizing photos and posting them to the forum:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4313.0
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 10:45:43 am by Andre Jute »

lewis noble

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 04:01:44 pm »

Thanks - following Andre’s reminder of the location of the guidance, thanks for that, links, I think they work, below.  I am in the process of revising my photo storage / sharing processes, which seems to be making things more, rather than less, complicated. 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqdSnhPPLa7Zhb90ir6J4BXP8FQwQg?e=zx5DTZ

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqdSnhPPLa7Zhb9zTZ1GL_8DJQ37Aw?e=HtYIkD

Regards to all
Lewis

lewis noble

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 04:05:35 pm »
Yes, the links do seem to work, tho' there is a split-second display of my documents list!  Nothing very interesting, controversial or (unduly) seditious in there, but there may be a way of avoiding that.

We are often uncertain about returning to 'favourite' areas, feeling that there is a danger of them not being as 'good' as they were before, or wanting to explore new.  Life's too short!  Travelling too expensive now!! 

But we really enjoyed this trip. 

Lewis

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 02:31:25 am »
Nice touring weather, Lewis, and good countryside for it as well. And especially, to give the Audax a canter again.  👍

I thought at first that your photos had been banjaxed by a WUDiP (Weird Unexplained Digital Phenomenon), but the blurriness soon resolved itself.