Author Topic: Exploring the Grampians  (Read 2010 times)

il padrone

Exploring the Grampians
« on: September 08, 2022, 02:59:15 pm »
Another trip from 2017. No, not the Scottish Grampians, but the antipodean version, named by Scottish explorer, Major Thomas Mitchell. I have been through the Grampians many times, organising bike club group tours usually on 4-day explorations of the back-roads. Early tours were over Easter, but it gets very sandy on the roads, as well as short of water and no flowers. It is definitely best done in September when the sandy gravel is nicely compacted down from the winter rains, and the wildflowers are an explosion. This time a few unfortunate circumstances meant that I did a solo tour, and only for three days, covering about 150km with quite a few short hikes to scenic features. Hope it is an enjoyable slideshow.

https://youtu.be/OHftq_PwgfU
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 03:16:46 pm by il padrone »

John Saxby

Re: Exploring the Grampians
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 05:04:48 pm »
Brilliant -- again!  ;)  Especially liked your mix of the micro (wildflowers) and macro (landscapes). 

Nice trick, too, getting those aerial shots from a Nomad.  Glad that there's a railing on that pinnacle...

How old are those rocks, do you know? 

Andre Jute

Re: Exploring the Grampians
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 07:22:00 am »
I've watched it a couple of times. Very dramatic and varied. Amazing how much more you see from a bicycle or on foot than from a car. Thanks for sharing.