Author Topic: Hudson Trail NJ USA  (Read 2084 times)

Matt2matt2002

Hudson Trail NJ USA
« on: August 24, 2022, 06:52:15 pm »
House sitting for my son in NJ USA.
Matawan sits on the Hudson Bike Trail so today I took a short spin on my son's bike to the coast and Union beach.

The next few days should see me venture a little further towards Atlantic Highlands.

Temperature 30°+ so taking it easy.
Differences I've picked up on:
Car drivers very courteous giving me plenty of space. ( What's an acceptable visual 'thanks'? )
Fewer dog walkers than back home. ( And fewer dog poo bags discarded )
I can make a right turn on a red light.

Unfortunately the bike needs some serious TLC on the front brake so I'll be attending to that little issue before my next trip.

Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Hudson Trail NJ USA
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 08:41:30 pm »
Car drivers very courteous giving me plenty of space. ( What's an acceptable visual 'thanks'? )
A friendly wave using all fingers is never amiss and generally welcomed, as most drivers glance in their review mirror after they pass (to make sure you are okay/they missed you).

Enjoy your time! :)

Best, Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2022, 10:21:52 pm »
Out again today along the Hudson Trail.
This time a little further to Atlantic Highlands.
The trail is good quality tarmac and not so busy for a Saturday. Plenty of friendly waves and 'Highs'.
One near miss from a male youth riding towards me with both hands and both eyes on his phone.
We avoided a meeting of minds by a hare's (!!) breath. As in many of such cases, it happened so fast. I didn't even have time to utter a nawty word!

Observations today:
Drivers really are to kind to cyclists here. Plenty pulled up way ahead of me crossing a road, flashed their lights and waved me across.

Signs. Signs are popular here. See attached.

Folks like to chat. I had plenty of short chats about nothing in particular.

Bike is holding up. Just.
I'm sure the bottom bracket has been around the block a few times. One rear spoke is bent and the rattles and squeaks play an interesting tune as I whiz along.
The frame is too small for me so I may try to raise the saddle. But it's a very old thing held together more by luck and rust than nuts n bolts, so I'll have to be gentle with the ol' girl.

Chin chin from Aberdeen NJ

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Moronic

• Amazon.com Bongs For Steve ebook
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 05:50:30 am »
Nice looking trail, Matt. Similar to some of the trails over here in Melbourne.

How long is it? Is it cyclists and pedestrians only, or is some of it shared with motor traffic?

Love the Say No sign, for what it says about where the debate is even where use has been legalised. "Too many unknowns" - for heaven's sake. It fascinates me that the US, whose anti-drug outlook held back recreational drug reform elsewhere for decades, is winding back the restrictions in many states. I read it as a sign of hope for US politics more generally: at the national level it seems to be deadlocks and culture wars, but at state level big things are happening. (Not that they are always uplifting.)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 05:52:49 am by Moronic »
Bongs For Steve: a lyrical novel about smoking and friendship. https://www.amazon.com.au/Bongs-Steve-I-J-Baker-ebook/dp/B0B2BRTKM2

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2022, 04:26:47 pm »
Thanks, Matt -- good to know you're enjoying yourself in Joisey.

If you do your US/Canada tour in the future, you could just nip across the Hudson to the NY trail -- that will take you from Manhattan to Niagara Falls.

Cheers,  John