Author Topic: Rohloff + Gates - Carrier Lockring Hopelessly Stuck?  (Read 1387 times)

CarlH

Rohloff + Gates - Carrier Lockring Hopelessly Stuck?
« on: July 09, 2022, 03:10:44 pm »
Hi, I'm settling into a Rohloff eMTB that I'd like to make more city/touring-friendly. My current goal is to change out the rear sprocket for better gearing, going to a Gates 19t.

The problem I'm running into is that my local bike shop can't get the Lock-Ring carrier (p/n 8540L) open to make the swap. I've procured the Rohloff Lock-Ring tool (p/n 8518) for them but even with three sets of hands and an estimated 100nm of force they're making no progress. Their speculation is horrible overtightening at the factory. I'm almost starting to suspect Loctite!

LBS states "If they had a stamped spanner type version of the tool, we'd be able to get it, because no force would need to be applied toward the center of the axle, only in the direction needed to remove it. If there were a way to secure the current tool to the axle, we'd also be able to get it w/ out issue." This is where I get out of my depth.

I'm tempted to procure a new lockring carrier assembly and ask the shop to just cut off the stuck lockring but I'm unsure it would be possible to do so and keep things cleanly removable for replacement.

What is the best technique here? I've seen talk of heating, pipe wrenches, and Channellocks but I'm hoping somebody here has input.

PH

Re: Rohloff + Gates - Carrier Lockring Hopelessly Stuck?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 03:48:35 pm »
Apologies for asking the obvious, but the shop are aware that the threading on the carrier is the opposite to that of a cassette?
Are the shop Rohloff experienced? I'm guessing not if you had to supply tools.  Is there one that is you can get to? 
They can be tight, but not so much as to be impossible.  It makes little difference how tight it was put on in the first place, it tightens with use, that's why it's a good idea to remove periodically. I'm concerned that they can't secure the tool to the hub, I don't use a belt, but the chain tools a very secure while in use. Rohloff stress the need to secure them so I'd be a little surprised if they hadn't factored that in with any belt specific tool.  With a tool secured, you can apply a lot of force, even better if the wheel is held in a vice.
it's hard to know what to advise other than have it looked at by someone with Rohloff experience. There should never be the need for the drastic measures you're considering.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 03:51:03 pm »
Hi Carl!

By any chance, did the shop try securing the lockring removal tool in a vise, prongs up, them invert the wheel and lockring over it? It would then be possible to press down on the wheel rim while turning, avoiding slippage of the tool. Much more force can be generating before the tool "cams out" in this way compared to approaching it endwise with a breaker bar.

Even if the Rohloff lockring removal tool lacks flats substantial enough for clamping in a vise, flats can be ground or a socket driver adapter can be modified for vise clamping, leaving the removal tool unaltered.

The moment-arm provided by the wheel center-to-rim distance is pretty substantial, being half the wheel diameter.

I used to have great difficulty removing the self-made repurposed chainring low-gear sprockets from my tandem's threaded freewheel hub until I used this method. Lot of grease/anti-seize and a crushable aluminum washer made future removals less difficult. The same tool-clamping approach worked a treat for removing the threaded Arai drum brake driver from the other side of the hub.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles and wishing you luck and success soonest.

Best, Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 03:52:28 pm »
Apologies for asking the obvious, but the shop are aware that the threading on the carrier is the opposite to that of a cassette?

This. First.

Best, Dan.

CarlH

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 04:37:28 pm »

This. First.

Best, Dan.

This had occurred to me, but I understand the Lock-Ring has an arrow indicating the direction to close, so surely one would be turning in the opposite direction.

This shop has some experience with Rohloffs, and so far they look like the best shot in town.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 10:55:51 pm »
If this is the part you are trying to unthread, yeah there is an arrow on it.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/rohloff-splined-carrier-l-standard-lock/

I would be hesitant to use much heat on it, as there are seals and other things in that hub that might not like high temperatures.  But, have you considered a hair dryer on a low setting to get it warm?  But a day before you try that, apply some penetratingly oil first so that has a day to soak in.

When I have trouble removing an obstinate part, sometimes using a rubber mallet on the wrench  can make it a bit less obstinate.