Author Topic: Eire  (Read 1859 times)

in4

Eire
« on: July 04, 2022, 10:09:56 am »
If anyone is interested in details I’ve just completed a ride down the west coast of Eire; taking in a few bits of the Wild Atlantic Way. Weather was challenging and the riding equally so. That said it was spectacular and very rewarding in parts.

The Nomad was up to the challenge and then some.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xtZnqgUFEoqFjt7E6

I’ll post a potted journal asap.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 09:21:54 pm by in4 »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Eire
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 03:10:49 pm »
Absolutely terrific and...wetly challenging!  :o

By the way, I moved your posted topic from Tours for Sale to Cycle Tours.

Best, Dan.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 03:24:38 pm by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 05:57:06 pm »
What rain? It’s 21C and zero rain in West Cork today.

Seriously, looking at your photographs and your maps, which between them tell a pretty comprehensive story of a great adventure in the back of beyond, I couldn’t help thinking of the old truism: In Ireland, even if isn’t raining, you’re never far from running water.

You caught the West of Ireland at the best time. Anyone who wants to emulate you would be well-advised to do it before the end of August or to wait until next year. Some years September is glorious, but it’s by no means guaranteed, and the alternative is misery. October is definitely too late.

That whole West of Ireland, the Wild Atlantic Way, is for hard men. Further south, from Cork City around the coast and the Ring of Kerry to Killarney and then the Dingle Peninsula, and back to an international airport at Cork via Limerick, is generally two or three degrees Celsius warmer, with less and more bearable wind, and is as pretty. Smart people give Killarney itself a miss — it is a huge tourist trap where you’ll be sick within the hour of hearing Danny Boy inescapably blared from innumerable loudspeakers.

Super photos, Ian, especially the ones that show how roughly the landscape and flora have been shaped by the water and the wind, something that I miss in places like Switzerland where fields look like they’ve been manicured with nail clippers.

Like Dan, I look forward to your description of your tour.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 06:26:55 pm by Andre Jute »

PH

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 10:17:09 pm »
Photos look great.  What was the camping like, on or off site?  Easy to find pitches? 
I've not been to Ireland for thirty years and then not with a bike!  I really ought to do something about that.

in4

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 11:20:51 am »
I intended to camp a lot but the scarcity of sites for tents and the appalling weather meant I had to use B&Bs a lot. I did camp on The Achill Islands. Fabulous but very exposed site. I spent circa 48 hours huddled in my tent before making a dash east using the Achill-Westport cycleway. I get the impression that things are geared up to caravan and campervan camping, which, given the climate and distances between places, is understandable.

For me the ride from Westport to Galway via the R335 was a tough but fabulous experience.

PH

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 12:21:29 pm »
I intended to camp a lot but the scarcity of sites for tents and the appalling weather meant I had to use B&Bs a lot.
Thanks, I need to do some research, I like camping for any trip more than a couple of nights.
Some friends toured Ireland with their kids and just knocked on farmers doors to ask if there was somewhere to camp.  They had atrocious weather and kept being offered a room "For the sake of the kids".  Those kids of course were greatly disappointed when the parents accepted, they wanted to camp! I can't remember how long ago this was, I bumped into one of those "kids" about a decade ago after they'd graduated from university.   So it's possible times have changed.