Author Topic: Concerned about a Thorn Nomad security  (Read 1574 times)

concerned security guard

Concerned about a Thorn Nomad security
« on: June 19, 2022, 09:14:27 pm »
Not sure if this is a good place to post this.I'm a security guard concerned about a Thorn Nomad which has been locked up not very securely in South Wales.
My work rotation is 4 on 4 off and the bike does not seem to have moved since my time off. I'm a keen Audaxer and am keenly aware of the value of some of these components.Maybe somebody here knows the owner.The bike is looking mint.My main concern is that where the bike is locked is a haven for drug users and its only a matter of time before it becomes a carcass.I'm also concerned the owner may be ill 

in4

Re: Concerned about a Thorn Nomad security
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 10:08:43 pm »
Perhaps photo of the hub serial number might help. There’s a short list on the forum. It does seem unusual for such a bike to simply be left there. Well done for thinking about the owner and mentioning here. 👍 

concerned security guard

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 10:24:04 pm »
thanks for the suggestion,unfortunately its pitch black now.The bike been there since last Sunday,its a minor miracle its intact. External patrols are not part of my duties but I did them last week in hi-viz hoping to deter any lurkers. The bike looks almost new which is the scary part.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 10:54:11 pm »
Yes, well done for noticing this and taking care to try and keep it safe.

Back in my days at uni, I worked as a campus security guard during the holiday breaks (24 hours on/12 hours off...I met myself coming and going). I ran into a similar situation and after discussing it with my supervisor, we decided to take the bike into "protective custody", cutting the lock and placing it in impound with a special note as to location, time secured, etc and then placed an ad in the student newspaper.

As it happened, the bike was eventually reported stolen two school terms later(!) by the owner, who had to leave school unexpectedly due to family circumstances (illness ending in a death). As soon as the report was filed it was matched with the impounded bike which was reunited with the owner, sans one cut lock which did not matter to the owner compared to losing the (then) very expensive bike. They were only grateful and pleased at our thoughtfulness and actions.

I'm not sure if such action is possible or even legal in your location. I do recall there was considerable concern about whether impounding the bike in an effort to keep it safe amounted to conversion under (US/Oregon) state law (conversion happens when a person intentionally takes the personal property of another or deprives another of possession of personal property without authority or permission. It is a legal tort which allows the injured party to seek legal relief) We ran it by the law school faculty and they concluded so long as the bike was returned to the owner within reasonable time of contact/on demand, it would be okay.

This Nomad is fully kitted out and like you, I am amazed it is still intact. I think Ian's idea of checking the serial against the list here is a good idea that might allow the owner to be found...
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=7767.msg109784#msg109784

Best,

Dan.

concerned security guard

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 11:04:32 pm »
I've also sent those pics to Thorns Instagram account as a DM. Unfortunately the bike is in the public domain and I can't put extra locks on it or cut off the existing ones without putting myself in an awkward position.The next bike rack over has 1x stripped vintage raleigh 1x Trek both down to mere frames.I have a feeling somebody meant to come back the same day for this bike

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 08:18:35 am »
If you get no reply via Instagram then an email to sales@thorncycles.co.uk with photo and preferably the Rohloff hub serial number (I doubt if the frame number is visible but the red Rohloff and dynamo are distinctive features) should enable them to contact the last recorded owner. If you request Thorn to share your contact details with the owner then they can get in touch with you.

PH

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 10:35:15 am »
I hope this has a happy ending, I can't imagine anyone deliberately leaving such a nice bike locked in public for so long, not even well locked at that.
If you haven't done so already. you might inform the police, not sure they'd do much, but it might be worth a try.  Other than that and what you've done already I can't think of anything else you can do.

I had a similar dilemma last year, when locking my bike at the railway station, I noticed another locked bike with a Garmin and Go-Pro camera attached to the bars.  I informed the platform staff, but they didn't seem interested and then it was time to get my train... I wonder if the stuff was still there when the owner got back. 

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 11:38:10 am »
The rear hub is made by Rohloff, that has a serial number that should be quite readable.  Rohloff also has a database of hub serial numbers with owners.  Serial number is likely 6 digits. 

It is possible the bike was previously stolen, in which case reporting the bike to this organization might help connect the owner with it.   Or, the police can check that database if it was stolen and if you do not have access to that database.
https://www.bikeregister.com/

The bike serial number would be under the part of the frame where the crankset is, but that model is known for having serial numbers that are hard to see under a thick layer of paint.  The Rohloff serial number however should be easy to see.

That bike has a number of expensive options on it.

concerned security guard

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 06:46:56 pm »
Well I arrived for work and the bike has gone,but no evidence of cut cables or locks,which are usually strewn on the deck. I can only hope the rightful owner retrieved it.I feel the uniqueness of the bike and the exoticism of the components saved it. Thanks for all the input.Safe riding

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 06:55:12 pm »
And thank you for showing concern.