Author Topic: W2W Sustrans Route  (Read 3987 times)

hux

W2W Sustrans Route
« on: October 11, 2007, 08:57:59 am »
Just completed this on my RST,anybody thinking of doing it and has any questions I will try and help.

geocycle

Re: W2W Sustrans Route
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 02:16:16 pm »
Tht's a good route. Do you have any pictures?

lewis noble

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 02:40:44 pm »
I have just returned home (Sheffield) after a lovely ride on the Walney to Whitby.  Superb weather, though icy on the tops in the mornings.  started Tuesday afternoon, first night in Coniston (a diversion to see my daughter), then to Tebay (Cross Keys Inn - friendly and a shed for storage), the up to Tan Hill, last night at Royal Oak in Great Ayton - and then . . . the N Yorks Moors.  I thought I was used to hills, being so near the Peak District - but the N Y Moors were very hard work . . . indeed.  20% hills to gain height, then you lose it, only to have to gain it again . . .

197 miles in total  No punctures or anything, just dropped a glove down a toilet.  No problems with RT of course, and there are some quite rough bits on many of the lanes which are hard to avoid on a long ride.

Thanks for advice, geocycle - it was worth it.

Lewis

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 07:51:08 pm »
Delighted you had a good trip!  Looking forward to seeing some pics.

debrillo

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 03:15:34 am »
Hi there, this is my first post. I'm thinking of cycling the W2W as part of 500 mile tour next year, other routes are C2C, Hornsea Trail and White Rose Cycle Way. the plan is on draft and will be camping with the odd youth hostel here and there. Is there any good camp-sites on the W2W.

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 04:20:58 pm »
Debrillo, It's a good route you'll enjoy it.  You can camp behind the pub at Tan Hill and have the option to come inside if the weather is 'traditional'.

debrillo

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 05:58:18 pm »
Hi Geo, thanks for the info about camping @ Tan Hill. I'm planning a tour which will consist of the C2C, W2W, Hornsea Trail and The White Rose Cycle Way about 500 miles. Don't know which end I will be starting off, probably from stockton on Tees where I live to York and so on.

neil_p

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 02:54:38 pm »
Hi - Debrillo did you do the ride in the end? I'm planning to do something similar in June, so would be interested to know how you got on. How and where did you link the various routes? What was your starting point?

My plan is to cycle from York to Southport on the Trans Penine Way. From there I'll cycle north until I meet the w2w route, taking that across to Whitby. I'll then go up to Newcastle and do a big loop taking in most of c2c and Hadrian's wall cycle route. I'll finish up with cycling up to Edinburgh via Berwick upon Tweed and Melrose.

If anyone has any hints on things to see, or places to avoid, please let me know.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 09:01:21 am by neilp6777 »