Author Topic: First Thorn experience  (Read 1759 times)

kevin_allen

First Thorn experience
« on: May 26, 2022, 09:07:08 am »
Hi all,
New to Thorn, I just picked up a Nomad superb condition. It’s given me a few surprises already. First was trying out next day from my campsite in Wales. I just followed some bike tracks….now I know nothing about mountain biking. if I did know anything when I got to a sign with a mountain goat on and advice to drop your seat post I would if turned around. All I can say it is one of the slowest times recorded by Strava🤣. At the bottom I met some fully armoured mountain bikers, “so you came down there like that (shorts t shirt no helmet) on that bike in the wet on those tyres?”.
The other surprise is the weight, honestly I read so much about this unwieldy beast it nearly put me off. End result is I think it’s just fine, not a problem. I have a carbon road bike rotting in a shed . I also have a recumbent trike of similar weight to the Nomad. What I also have is the bike that made me look at a Thirn. A Riese and Müller charger 3 ebike. It weighs 27kg a tualy as I gave to an extra 3 kg of battery 30kg. Now I’ve got my wife liking loading a tent cycling off a few days and camping. But She is only willing to take certain hardships and cramped tent taint one of ‘em. So I’m hauling nearly 8kg of tent….hence the ebike…which it does easily. Except not very far, in order to get the mileage I need to use the lowest setting and to be honest it feels worse than a decent well sorted normal bike to push. Plus you have to compromise travel on what the bike wants and that’s a charge. So looking for a bike that can take a load and still be rideable brought me to the Nomad. Trying it loaded up this weekend. The weight just doesn’t feel like the issue most reports highlight. Rohloff gearbox gearing dirts that out.  I did 26miles yesterday on it and loved it, I smashed the cheap plastic peddles the previous owner had fitted, surprise surprise I smashed a lot of pb’s without trying too. Camping this weekend with it I have little doubt it copes with that.

in4

Re: First Thorn experience
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 09:26:41 am »
Wow and welcome. Your enthusiasm is brimming over.

Share a photo of your Nomad with us. 😊

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 06:26:43 pm »
Great stuff, Kevin.  I found myself chuckling as I read your post.  You'll be fine, mate, and your wife too, I'm sure.  ;)

kevin_allen

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 07:08:02 am »
Proper peddles have been attached since this picture. I borrowed  these off a road bike, really awful on the Nomad
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 07:09:34 am by kevin_allen »

kevin_allen

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 07:24:35 am »
As you can see not the modern idea of bikepacking. No cut down toothbrushes here but a tent you can actually walk around in and fit two bikes  out of sight if needed. Weight penalty 7.5-8kg 😎. I could tell you the price but you might be standing up or in a public place…..put it this way a Hilleberg was the budget option🤪🤣😎

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 07:38:10 am »
Great pictures
Many thanks for sharing

What peddles did you go for? I may need new ones for my Raven.

Only one bottle cage?
Going for front panniers?

Best

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

kevin_allen

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 08:29:32 am »
I went for Shimano flat peddles. I’ve since bought a restrap stem bag to take an extra water, I will add cages as well. But I’d quite like to fit a frame bag, so looking at options. I’m not going to be touring remote places. I also bought a restrap handlebar system to take sleep system but I think it will go back doesn’t look like it will be best option on a Nomad. So probably front panniers.
Also looking at lighter weight options and I’m starting to think the old saddlebag for clothes cooking gear, rear rack for small  tent/bivy  and handlebar bag could be a great option…… the other thing I like about that… it laughs in the face of fashion😎 I’m new to this so no expert just a 64 year old body thinking it can still act like a 20 year old.

PH

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2022, 09:37:47 am »
Great first impressions and photos Kevin. That's a palace of a tent! Glamping by bike!!
The other surprise is the weight, honestly I read so much about this unwieldy beast it nearly put me off.

It is a bit of a theme of mine, weight isn't unimportant, just nothing like as much as some would believe and the differences often overestimated.  It's a bit of a game, I don't like carrying any weight that doesn't contribute to the experience, but wouldn't want to save any that detracted from it.  If a bike is right, it'll weigh what it does.
Four panniers - Others with Nomads will know better, I haven't had one, I have had a Raven Tour and that handled better with four panniers than at any other time. I say that as someone who doesn't usually like that set-up.

kevin_allen

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2022, 10:18:41 am »
Yes weight is necessary unless it’s unnecessary. We have done 3 little trial camps each time packing what we think will be needed for two weeks. Ditching stuff after each camp, I think I’m getting close to 16kg of gear including the tent. One pot cooking experiments have worked well, so lots of cook stuff off the list. My wife now realises  you don’t need a full wardrobe of clothing choice.  I’m not a big one on the percentage thing that because the bike is heavy a little extra is not noticeable, I’m no scientist but I’m guessing each gram needs a certain amount of energy to move it and that doesn’t get smaller because the bike is heavy. Must not lose sight though that we are doing this for fun, it’s not an endurance test or trying to test our limits. We intend to stay within the comfort zone as much as possible if that means a heavier sleep mat and big tent, so be it😊

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2022, 04:29:54 pm »
Others with Nomads will know better, I haven't had one, I have had a Raven Tour and that handled better with four panniers than at any other time. I say that as someone who doesn't usually like that set-up.

Snap.
I own one bike (Raven Tour ) but ride two.

The changes when loaded are amazing.

My recent trip to Orkney was with two rear panniers and the tent. Great handling when loaded.

I only half joke that I should alway ride with four panniers.

Must not lose sight though that we are doing this for fun,

Hear hear.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

mickeg

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2022, 04:52:42 pm »
You should always carry a wrench that can tighten a loose coupler.

My Nomad Mk II with S&S couplers, in the nine years I have had it, only once has a coupler worked loose.  But you want to be able to tighten it as soon as it comes loose instead of riding home first.

I assume you know about changing oil in the hub, how often, etc.  If not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVhmgqICNhU

kevin_allen

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2022, 08:27:55 pm »
I keep the wrench tool in my tool kit as it also has the means to do the bottom bracket should I need. Ordered an oil change kit so I know when it was done. Thanks

mickeg

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2022, 01:55:25 pm »
A few of us have had an eccentric screw come loose.  I wrapped a couple rubber bands around the two bolts, that way the bolts can't unscrew from vibration.

kevin_allen

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2022, 04:17:48 pm »
Will do, thanks