Author Topic: Thorn T bar - Bar bag mount  (Read 2768 times)

PH

Thorn T bar - Bar bag mount
« on: July 02, 2022, 05:00:56 pm »
Anyone use a T-bar (Or anything similar) to lower a bar bag?  Any disadvantages? Does it play well with the cables, particularly Rohloff?
I've been experimenting with where to mount a phone or Garmin, the out front bracket that I have on the E-bike without a bar bag has convinced my that's the best place for it.  So now looking at ways to have both, I've tried mounting on the bag itself, too much vibration, now considering lowering the bag.  I realise I may end up having to remove the device before opening the bag, I think i can live with that. 

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Thorn T bar - Bar bag mount
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 09:11:41 pm »
Yes, on several of my bikes, and it has worked well in each case, Paul.

If you go back through my "Danneaux's Nomad" gallery, you can see the iterations that led to my final version. One link that shows the setup initially with several T-bars to try is here...
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4523.msg22081#msg22081
There are some additional thumbnails later in the thread that were corrupted in a server mishap some time ago, but the photos still download for viewing offline.

I've found no disadvantages and the benefits of lowering the HB center of gravity are many. I find it easier to read the map case, not difficult to access, and handling is less affected by a heavy load in the bag.

Cables can be problematic but it all depends on your existing setup and I think it would be less troublesome with straight handlebars than my preferred drops. I had to do some re-routing of mine but this involved no lengthening or shortening...just re-arranging.

One unusual installation I made was on my tandem. It has a 22.2mm quill stem, forged alloy head rammed into a thick-walled stainless shaft. I adapted a Thorn 55mm Accessory T-nar to it by machining nested shims that clamp onto the quill where it is doubled (full thickness stainless tube over solid forging...if anything, the T-bar externally reinforces the joint) and it has worked well there also.

Everyone's setup and preferences are different but I really liked my T-bars (I have two each on my Nomad and Transporter carry most of my accessories, leaving my handlebars clear and I like that. On the Transporter, I used the lower T-bar to mount a couple water bottles, co-located with the steerer so steering is unaffected whether they are full or empty.

Current photos on request if it would help to see my current setup.

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 10:02:56 pm »
That didn't take long! In response to several email and PM requests, here are the photos of multiple and lowered T-bars on my Transporter and the Nomad.

Both bikes have uncut steerers. The Transporter uses a Sherpa Mk2 fork (choice of two rakes/offsets resulting in relatively low 40mm trail or neutral 57mm trail). Each handlebar bag is a size Large Ortlieb. Yes there's a lot of bottles because I ride in dry/desert conditions where I cannot easily refill along the way. No, the full bottles do not affect steering. Yes, the handlebar bag lids are easy for me to open and close when approached with a hand at each rear corner. Yes, I have a lot of accessories. Yes, they all fit and provide enjoyment on 15-17 hours days in the saddle. The GPSs are a Garmin Oregon 600T on the Nomad, 400T on the Transporter. That level-looking thing on each bike is a SkyMounti inclinometer; they work great! The little clip is a CueClip; it holds my pace notes/cue sheets on long rando rides. Both bikes have steerer-mounted chargers; Tout Terrain The Plug 2+ on the Transporter, Cycle2Charge on the Nomad. Transporter handlebars are in the process of getting new closed-cell foam padding compression-wrapped with tape. Right now, that is electrical tape standing in.

I think that pre-answers most of the questions.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 10:12:47 pm by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 10:05:06 pm »
Additional front view of the Nomad, sans HB bag....

I've found mounting the Rohloff shifter on the upper T-bar above the handlebars suits me fine on my Nomad.

On the Raven Tour so kindly loaned to me by AndyBG, the shifter on a short 55mm T-bar just above the headset also suited me well.

Best, Dan.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 01:49:50 pm by Danneaux »

PH

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 08:25:55 am »
Thanks Dan, a very useful and detailed information.  I've just had a glance, I'll have a proper read later.  The set up the Transporter looks like you've achieved exactly the GPS and bar bag positions I'm looking for.

lewis noble

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 11:05:56 am »
Hello Paul - I've used the Thorn bars quite a bit, tho' none currently fitted as I don't use a front bag and have room for all I need on the bars.  The great advantage of them I think is their sturdiness and security compared with other products that have either snapped or worked loose if fitted onto the bars, and the the 'nothing to worry about' feeling of them once fitted.

I did have to do some cable re-routing on my Sherpa, nothing major.  The When nothing fitted onto them, they made a handy additional carrying handle when boarding trains, over stiles etc. 

Lewis

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 01:17:24 pm »
On some of my bikes I use the Thorn accessory T bar, some bikes I use a second threadless stem with a stub of cut off handlebar.  At one time I tried PVC pipe instead of a piece of metal from a handlebar, but it cracked and made a mess of things, I do NOT suggest PVC pipe for that.

For me, a second stem is usually a lot cheaper, as the shipping cost from SJS to me in USA is not cheap.  But when I bought my Nomad Mk II, the Accessory T bar was in the box with the frame.  Later I added a Thorn Accessory T bar to my road bike.

My goal was to get the weight in the bar bag lower and as close to the steering axis (steerer tube) as practical.  And a minor advantage was also that I have more real estate on the handlebar for GPS mount, bell, interrupter brake levers, etc., if there is no bar bag bracket on it.

First photo, a second stem that is an adjustable stem. 

Second photo, second stem on my Thorn Sherpa, I also have a wrist watch type heart rate monitor on that stub of handlebar and that is on a wrist watch to handlebar adapter, that might make the photo a bit confusing.

Third photo, 55mm Thorn accessory bar on my Nomad Mk II.

Fourth photo, 55mm Thorn accessory bar on my road bike.  This was the only option on this bike as the bike only had 25mm of spare steerer tube when I bought it.

I also have done this on my randonneuring bike.  And I have removed it from my road bike to temporarily attach to my folding bike.  But four photos is enough.

On my road bike, the brake cables are less than fully convenient with the bracket.  That bike came with a much lower stem, I changed the stem to a 35 degree stem, which also made the cables a bit shorter than ideal.  But I do not see a real need to add a bit more length to the cables yet.

I am starting to see a reason for a fifth photo.

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 01:28:08 pm »
Fifth photo, my randonneuring bike, I use a Garmin 62 GPS.  It is not a cycling GPS, it is a general recreation grade GPS.  The antennae extends forward from the GPS enough that when I open my handlebar bag, the lid on the bar bag as to be bent somewhat to open it.  Not a big hassle, but a minor inconvenience when I close it as the lid goes down to the antennae, and I have to go thru a few extra seconds of fiddling with it to get it closed. 

Sixth photo, my Nomad Mk II, the lid just barely clears the antennae.

PH

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 09:22:57 pm »
Thanks folks, lots of options and ideas there for me to mull over...

lewis noble

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 12:00:17 pm »
Sent you a PM, Paul.

Lewis