Author Topic: Thorn Raven Sterling  (Read 8145 times)

jp06

Thorn Raven Sterling
« on: October 09, 2007, 02:13:31 pm »
Here is my recently built up Thorn Sterling (assuming I manage to attatch the pictures!).

ians

Re: Thorn Raven Sterling
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 05:13:06 pm »
very very nice.  Even better once you get that chain tensioned....

ian

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 05:59:30 pm »
Nice bike -which hills are in the background?

jp06

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 08:13:21 pm »
Yes - the chain does need a bit of sorting.  Still - works fine as it is but I need it to stretch a bit further until I can drop some links and rotate the EBB back round.  The photo is from Watermillock, looking over Ullswater in the Lakes.  The cables need a bit of a tidy as well!

John

Sooty

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 09:26:00 pm »
The Sterling looks great but is it possible to route the Rohloff cables along the top tube?  I notice that the Enduro routes them that way on the brochure pics.

jp06

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 10:53:41 am »
Sooty
No - there is only a single cable/hose guide along the top tube for the rear brake.  The rohloff guides direct the cables under the BB.  I find this route better than on the Enduro, but it may result in the external shifter box gathering more crud.

John

markce

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 11:32:43 pm »
I test-rode two Stirlings last week at SJS.  Both with disk brakes, one with Pace fork and one with the Fox suspension.  With the Pace, I feel that the Stirling is a very capable tourer; quick handling and real competition for a Sport Tour (which I also rode).  With the suspension, the Stirling was a revelation - so much fun - a really capable off-roader.  The adaptability is a big plus:  I'm gonna get both forks, and it's now just question of deciding on disks or V brakes..

antcooper

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 02:33:56 pm »
Looks great John. Can't wait to see the brochure up on the site. This could be the Thorn Raven I've been waiting for!

Just a quick question, what are the nobbles along the top tube - cable guides? There seems to be rather a lot of them.

Is it possible to choose the disc option and fit V-brakes later or are the frames different?

And lastly, do the offer a fork with low-rider mounts as an option, just pondering my world touring plans.

Happy riding.

Thanks, Ant

markce

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 02:53:00 pm »
Ant, If you go to the Thorn General Forum, there is Stirling info on there - including what appears to be the draft brochure.  In short, the answers to all your questions appears to be YES!  

jp06

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 04:04:39 pm »
Ant

As markce says, the answer to all questions is yes.  The nobbles on the top tube are cable or hose guides (depending whether you run hydraulic disc or v-brakes).  I haven't got around to feeding my hydraulic hose through these yet so have just used cable ties.  The frame is supplied with v-brake mounts that simply screw into the frame - making it fully v-brake compatible.  A rigid steel fork is also available that is suspension corrected and comes with all the mountings you could wish for.

I'm very pleased with the frame.  Although I haven't used it off road, it certainly feels tough yet comfortable.

John

Grimian

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 07:42:40 pm »
Hello JP.
Good looking bike [8D] You must be very pleased !
Which Brooks is that .... is it a B17 [?] I'm thinking of changing my saddle soon so would be interested to know how you get on with it.

Grimian

jp06

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 08:29:39 pm »
Grimian

Thanks for the complement.  I am pleased with the bike but wish I could be satisfied with it and stop buying new parts to try - works out very expensive!

It's a B17 with titanium rails.  I've probably only done 500 miles on it but find it very comfortable - in fact I never really went through the painful breaking in period that some people refer to.

John

att21

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 11:37:22 am »
Hi there,

For your information - I'm designing the Sterling Brochure and by this weekend you'll be able to download brochure and order forms. Hope you'll like it :D

Cheers!

att21

Fred A-M

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 02:35:19 pm »
Would be good to start seeing Thorn including weight bearing capacity CLEARLY stated in their: would probably help eliminate arguments and a few needless refunds!!!

JP, that's just the testimonial that I needed to hear for the B17 titanium black that I've beeing umm-ing and rrr-ing about (cost-wise) for quite some while!  VERY nice bike btw!!

Grimian

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 02:50:02 pm »
Hi John
There's nothing wrong with trying out new parts. I take your point that it becomes expensive but what the heck you can't take it with you [:D]

I thought it was a B17. It is interesting to note that it didn't require much breaking in ..... which can only be a bonus [:I]
I had been thinking of a new saddle for some time now and I have decided to take the plunge and go for the Brooks Swallow Ltd edition ......... well I've placed a pre-order but I don't know if I will be successful [:p]

The only thing I'm worried about is that the setup height of your seat and bars seems very similar to mine so I just hope I'm getting the right thing! My reckoning is that as most of the weight is distributed towards the front, a more roadie type of saddle would be appropriate. The Brooks catalogue appears to place both saddles in different categories of riding position so I'm just not sure!

Nice Ortlieb saddle bag ........ I use one myself [8D]

Cheers
Ian