Author Topic: brake advice please  (Read 2504 times)

jags

brake advice please
« on: October 05, 2007, 07:19:16 pm »

will tiagra sti 9 speed leavers,, work with cantileavers brakes,,i was going with barend shifters,,shimano r400 leavers
but now fancy the sti ,,any thoughts thanks
ps,im useing drop handlebars..

tynevalleycommuter

Re: brake advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 11:46:10 pm »
If the canti's work OK with R400 drop bar levers then STI's should also be OK - canti's and caliper brakes use a similar amount of cable pull / leverage. What you cannot do is use V brakes with drop bar levers (unless you use something like a 'travel agent' to change the pull ratio).

STI's will be heavier than aero levers and bar end levers.

The cable routing on STI's will prevent you from using a bar-bag - this may not be an issue for you.

David

ians

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 10:47:28 am »
quote:
Originally posted by tynevalleycommuter

What you cannot do is use V brakes with drop bar levers (unless you use something like a 'travel agent' to change the pull ratio).

The new Condor Heritage tourer uses Campag V brakes with drops ("they work superbly well with drops" C+ 196) - as does Paul Hewitt (I believe) without a travel agent.

ian

jags

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 02:38:03 pm »
thanks lads good stuff,the thing i dont like about the r400 leavers is the
hoods are a bit on the small size..
i have dura ace leavers on my road bikes,there brilliant,,.
im thinking of xt cantileavers,but came across frog legs cantis ,,
anyone now anything of these brakes , thanks ian and david

ians

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 10:49:14 pm »
I have Cane Creek SRC 5 levers - large hoods so an aquired taste.  They also have a QR button which makes wheel release easy.  Cantis are Shimano R500 - expensive but fantastic in my view (better than Avid Shorty 6s which I had before).

I considered frog legs but everything I've read says they're great but a b**ger to set up.

Check out this site http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/brakes  some useful info here.

ian

jags

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 02:42:27 pm »
thanks ian great info...ill check out  shimano r500 cantis,

tynevalleycommuter

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 10:19:48 pm »
The campag canti's have relatively short arms (85 mm as opposed to typical 100mm or so for conventional 'v' brakes) - which must be how they can work OK with the drop bar levers. They look to be a fairly close fit over the 'guards on the Condor heritage with 28mm tyres. Care would be needed in checking the clearance before splashing out on these.