Author Topic: Raven Recommended Tyre for Audax rides  (Read 2997 times)

Coaster

Raven Recommended Tyre for Audax rides
« on: April 03, 2022, 07:38:09 pm »
My Raven came to me with Marathon Plus Tour 2 inch wide tyres. Great tyres, but a little slow for audax riding which I want to try on it.

What is the best puncture protected tyre for taking a Raven audax riding?

brummie

Re: Raven Recommended Tyre for Audax rides
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 08:34:13 pm »
Maybe I'm lucky, but I get very few punctures, so generally never buy the heavier / numb tyres which advertise additional puncture protection. So my recomendations / favourites are: ( in no particular order )
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme.
Marathon Racer
Continental Speed Contact
Panaracer Pasela Tourguard

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 09:58:40 am »
I’d definitely recommend Schwalbe marathon supreme. Great tyres on tarmac. Unfortunately they are discontinued and hard to find in 26”. I recently got some spares from Spa Cycles as SJS had no stock. Alternatively standard marathons are fine for most tasks.

Coaster

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 09:49:53 am »
Thank you, it looks like Marathon Supreme are the ones to go for.

What about the best width for Audax road cycling?

PH

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 11:39:10 am »
I rode a few Audax on my Raven when I had it, was happy with Panaracers, probably Paselas but I'm not sure, tan sidwalls before they came back into fashion!  1.75" were the sweet spot, I tried up and down a size but came back to this. 
On my 700c bikes I'm a fan of Marathon Supreme and Almotion, but I've never had these and the Panaracers in the same wheel size so comparisons might not be relevant.
I found them all to be decent in terms of puncture protection, but it isn't something I give the highest priority to.  This week I've just had my first for over 4,000 km across all bikes, it was a 5 min roadside fix. The Panaracers do seem to become more vulnerable when well worn, I recall changing a couple for this reason even though the tread looked like it had some life left - though of course this might just be a run of bad luck, the sample size wasn't big enough to be conclusive!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 11:44:38 am by PH »

DIAGMONKEY

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 01:52:54 pm »
I have used the 26 x 1.6 inch marathon supreme for general riding and commuting duties. I found them nicer to ride than either the plus or standard versions. More comfortable and quicker too. I only had one puncture with them in several thousand miles. I did take a little more care than i would have done with the plus version riding through the glass covered parts of my route to work. In the event of a puncture they were much easier to remove and put back  on the rim, than either the 35mm marathons or the 1.75 inch plus versions. Overall I found them to be a very good tyre. It's a shame they seem to have stopped making them.

martinf

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 08:56:59 am »
Last time I looked Supreme were still available in 50x559 and 42x559 on some German websites.

If you can find them, Almotion seem to be a reasonable alternative to Supreme, As 37x622 Supremes weren't easy to find I have just fitted a pair of 40x622 Almotion on one of my wife's bikes. There were two different versions of Almotion available in that size, one was significantly heavier than the other, so I chose the lighter of the two.

Continental Contact Urban might also be a good choice. According to this site, they roll as well as Supremes:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews

Contact Urban are listed in the current Continental catalogue in a large range of sizes, but are not always easy to find. I have them on one Brompton. They are usually cheaper than Schwalbe Supreme, as they have wire beads.

Coaster

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 06:11:30 pm »
Thanks everyone, much appreciate your wisdom.