Author Topic: Thorn Nomad 537L (Frame no 06002) ?????  (Read 1799 times)

jack1

Thorn Nomad 537L (Frame no 06002) ?????
« on: March 19, 2022, 11:50:26 am »
My Thorn nomad 537L (Frame no 06002 ) is it a Mk1 or Mk2 ??? Thanks

mickeg

Re: Thorn Nomad 537L (Frame no 06002) ?????
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 11:33:05 am »
Without photo or color it is hard to say.

If my recollection is correct, the Mk II has a reinforcing piece of metal welded under the downtube to the head tube that I think is not on the Mk I.

I am not sure if the Mk I was available without S&S couplers or not, every Mk I photo I have seen had couplers.  But couplers are expensive, most Mk II lack them but it was an option on Mk II.

The above are my guesses on the difference but I could be wrong.  Perhaps others could confirm if these guesses are correct?  I built up my Mk II in 2013, since then I have not given much study to versions that predate mine.

UKTony

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2022, 02:00:36 pm »
If the frame size stated is correct then it’s almost certainly not a Mk 2 Nomad because the frame sizing of  the latter never included a 537L - 540L yes but 537L no. The significance of the frame number is something I can’t help with - maybe try Thorn Cycles if others on the forum can’t assist.
The original Nomad was a derailleur bike, then in the early 2000s Thorns started developing frames for the Rohloff hub. The next iteration of the Nomad was the Raven Nomad S&S the first batches of which all came with S&S couplers. The Mark 2, introduced in about ? 2010/2011?, I think, marked a change in the frame geometry to accommodate the option of a suss fork. S&S couplers also became optional. Colours also limited to Matt black and Tonka Yellow. Looking at pictures of predecessors to the Mk 2 Nomad online I think Mickeg is correct about the strengthening fillet between the steerer tube and down tube as a distinguishing feature of the Mk2.
All this gleaned from brief histories I’ve read in Thorn marketing literature.

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 12:03:22 pm »
Another bit of clarification, as noted by UKTony, the Nomad initially was a derailleur bike.  Then the Rohloff versions were the Mk I and Mk II, and now the Mk III.  Some people assume that the derailleur version is a Mk I, which is not correct, it lacked a Mk version designation.

I do not like to rely too much on serial numbers for models, serial numbers usually correlate to a size, however my Nomad Mk II serial number suggests that it is a size 585 but it was sold as a size 590M.

jack1

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2022, 04:16:17 pm »
Hi,thanks for your message regarding my (Thorn nomad) Mk1 or Mk2 ??? I’m still hoping if I can get a positive answer. But thank you so much to all who have contacted me.👍🚴

UKTony

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2022, 06:43:28 pm »
  Some people assume that the derailleur version is a Mk I, which is not correct, it lacked a Mk version designation.

SJS Cycles in their online shop currently list a derailleur Nomad described as a MK 1, here,

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bikes/thorn-158256/

So, for the purpose of designating Marques should we be treating original derailleur and Raven (ie Rohloff equipped) Nomads as separate entities?

The subject has been discussed previously here and this seems to support this approach.

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=8903.0

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 01:16:30 pm »
That Mk I that UKTony linked to is a derailleur bike, so that really confuses things now.

I do not think that any of the Rohloff versions of the Nomad had a rear pump peg like that one.

From the photos I can't see if it is filet brazed or welded, but with the pump peg I am guessing that is an old UK made frame.

jack1

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 07:18:21 pm »
Hi, thanks for all your messages.I’ve sorted the answer ( It’s a Mk 2 ) thanks everyone.