Author Topic: MK 1 , MK 2 , MK 3 ??  (Read 3571 times)

gandiji

MK 1 , MK 2 , MK 3 ??
« on: April 21, 2014, 01:58:04 pm »
hi
I've never really understand what's the difference between MK1 MK2 or MK3 . with Nomad or Sherpa
somebody knows?
tanks
justin

mickeg

Re: MK 1 , MK 2 , MK 3 ??
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:53:45 pm »
This might help a little on Sherpa.  From the comments at this link, my Sherpa is a Mk II.  I bought my frame used so I did not know what it was sold as, other than the model name Sherpa.
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=8205.0;topicseen

For the Nomad, it is my understanding that the Mk II has a reinforcement welded on under the down tube where it meets the head tube that was added for this version. I am not sure if the derailleur (pre-Rohloff) Nomads would be considered Mk Zero or what they would be.

Andybg

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 06:55:57 pm »
To get a better understanding you need to go through the hstorical archives which you can find in the Thorn section of the forum and look at the differences.

Main differences to note are

The original Thorn Nomad was a derraileur bike (much like the present day Sherpa) with 3 minor changes to spec throughout its life (Mk1 Mk2 Mk3)

The The Thorn Raven Nomad then came out now using the Rohloff and this has a Mk1 and a MK2. Mk1 was with for use with a solid front fork only while the Mk2 can use a solid front fork or a suspension fork.

The Sherpa replaced the old Thorn Nomad as the derraileur option and has gone through 3 minor iterations. I know for instance between the Mk2 and Mk3 they have reduced its carrying capacity and I would assume have made the ride a bit more lively in the process.

Andy

Edocaster

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 10:45:13 pm »
What are the differences between mk1, 2 and 3 derailleur Nomads? I know mine is Reynolds 531, from around 2001, with the short rear rack.

Andybg

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 06:06:33 am »
No Guarantees on this but my understanding is:

Mk1 is Reynolds 531 with an old style quill stem
Mk2 is Reynolds 531 with an Ahead stem
Mk3 is Reynolds 725

I would assume there are other differences between the models but that seems the easiest wat to diffrentiate them

Andy

gandiji

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 12:46:06 pm »
Hey!
tanks for all these explanations
justin