Author Topic: new hub woes  (Read 2048 times)

jonathan

new hub woes
« on: October 05, 2007, 01:04:21 pm »
I rode my RT today properly  for the first time, and even though I was expecting it to be a bit rugged I am a bit worried tonight.

When I built up my wife's bike the hub was rough and noisy but it soon calmed down and as far as I know she has only had a couple of slipped gears.

My hub today (and I am well aware that it has only got 50km on it and it will get better) on several occasions and in several gear combinations failed to engage and the gear box was left spinning free and making an awful grinding noise. If it was a stink bike it would be like a box full of neutrals.

Several times I had the effect when shifting of the box getting stuck in top gear, I expected this but only between 7&8. I got it in other combinations 9 &10 and 5&6.

If I really concentarted on backing off then shifting was OK but if I didnt then it frequently slipped or miss shifted.

This is contary to anything I have read about Rohloff hubs and I am worried it might be a crook one. Has anyone else experienced anything like this with a new hub?

Thanks
Jonathan

freddered

Re: new hub woes
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 03:03:53 pm »
Call SJSC pronto.

peterh

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 06:28:15 pm »
Oh dear. Yes I had this problem - I left it more than a year and a few oil changes and it still slipped into Neutral occasionally around gear 10 mostly. I'm afriad I had to send it back to Rohloff - where they "re-adjusted the switching points". It now works 100% - and haven't had a problem since. It also seems less stiff now changing gear. It's a bit of a hassle sending a wheel back to Germany - but they sent it back to me very quickly. Definitely email SJSC for their advice though...

efpw

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 06:31:25 pm »
I am sure that I read elsewhere that this happens if you keep any load on the twist grip having changed gear...