Author Topic: Raven Nomad vs Exp  (Read 2139 times)

davoslamos

Raven Nomad vs Exp
« on: October 04, 2007, 03:41:02 pm »
Right then! I've got a wad of cash (less than £2000 though) and was just about to order the Exp with derailleur after much haranguing Andy B. Then he suggested for the money a rohloff equipped Raven Nomad would beat the Exp with derailleur. I am not one to question his authority on this, but I really want to make sure I get this right. Can anyone offer their own personal experience??
I'd be much obliged.

I'll be cycling through Europe to India and abouts and finally up into China via Pakistan.
Also, my ladyfriend will be joining me probably as far as India. Her budget is a little tighter. Ya reckon the Club Tour would be up to the job, or is it worth forking out an extra £200 for the Nomad??

Thanks muchly lovelies. I'm afraid I'll be unable to repay you with answers to your queries, but I'll send out positive vibes to all those reply (sorry, the rest of you).

Cheers!!!!!

neil_p

Re: Raven Nomad vs Exp
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 06:13:24 pm »
Well, I've got the EXP Rohloff, and if I had to give up the frame or the hub, I would definitely keep the hub.  Even only after 3 months and 1000 miles I can see how reliable and maintenance free the Rohloff is.  If I was doing your trip, reliability would be far more important than the frame.  Others may disagree though...

freddered

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 11:57:29 pm »
I can only tell you about my Raven Tour with Rohloff.

4500 miles over 18 months and I've done an oil change (30 minutes).

That's it...no other maintenance apart from tensioning the chain.

All the rumours seems to be true.

It does everything, camping trips, 300km day rides, commuting.

Your choice.  I wouldn't go back to derailleur.

davoslamos

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 11:00:43 am »
Thanks chaps, I'm going to go for the Nomad then.