Author Topic: Handlebar switch for lights  (Read 7586 times)

ourclarioncall

Handlebar switch for lights
« on: November 24, 2021, 04:04:59 pm »
Am I right in thinking a rear dynamo light is connected to the front dynamo light ? The electricity passes from the hub to the front light then on to the back? And then returns to compete the circuit

My main question is could you turn on both front and rear lights from a switch attached to the handlebars? Somehow

julk

Re: Handlebar switch for lights
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 08:54:34 pm »
That is how it works with my supernova lights driven from a dynohub.
The front light has a switch on the rear for on and  off.

RonS

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 08:57:26 pm »
Yes you’re correct, so if the switch is between the dynamo and headlight it should work on both lights.

PH

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 10:00:34 pm »
Are you asking if you can add an additional switch?  If so, yes it's simple enough, though the wiring gets messy and with a switched light intended for hub dynamos and the light mounted in one of the usual places, it really isn't necessary.  Maybe on some sort of cycle where you couldn't reach the light while riding it would be an advantage.
I added a switch when using a non switched light intended for a bottle dynamo with a hub, but the wiring annoyed me and I ended up going direct and it being on all the time, daytime lights before they were popular!

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 10:43:34 pm »
Luxos U has a handlebar mounted switch with the USB port.

But I really think no handlebar switch is needed for most bikes, it takes very little practice to be able to reach to the switch button on the headlight, assuming it is on the front fork.  Extra wires and a switch that is not really needed is one more place for rain to get into.

martinf

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 11:22:02 pm »
My main question is could you turn on both front and rear lights from a switch attached to the handlebars? Somehow

Tried this. It adds complication and a possible failure point. So I rejected it.

Modern front lamps that are used with a hub dynamo generally have a switch that controls both front and rear lamps.

It depends on where you mount the front lamp, in some cases you can operate the switch when riding. Nowadays, with efficient LED lamps and dynohubs I generally don't bother and leave the lamps on all the time for the (marginal) extra daytime visibility.

steve216c

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 07:07:42 am »
My wife has an older shimano hub Dynamo that actually came with a handlebar switch direct to hub and the cables for lights fed from switch. When I added hub dynamos to my bikes they initially all had old school no switch Dynamo lights where I soldered switches to. But since LED upgrades they all have integrated switches. Many new lights even have sensor to switch automatically when dark.

But there is so much to be gained by being visible to car drivers AND you hardly notice any drag riding with hub Dynamo running that my whole family all leave lights in the on position all year round day and night.

My recommendation would be to not worry about a switch, but rather run always on. And try to get lights with stand light function. This is small battery/capacitor that keeps lights showing for a couple of minutes after wheels stop turning. Enough to keep you visible when stopped at junctions or to read a map etc.
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

ourclarioncall

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 07:32:39 pm »
Sorry folks, been really caught up with family life. I like to reply to everyone that comments but a bit overwhelmed!

ourclarioncall

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 08:11:36 pm »
That is how it works with my supernova lights driven from a dynohub.
The front light has a switch on the rear for on and  off.

Gotcha , makes sense 👍

ourclarioncall

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 08:15:07 pm »
Yes you’re correct, so if the switch is between the dynamo and headlight it should work on both lights.

Oh yeah , so all I need is a bring the wires from the hub up to handlebars and a switch , then onto the front light . Basically an in-line switch that open the circuits and turns lights off, which I think is basically what the on of switch on the light itself is doing

ourclarioncall

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 08:18:36 pm »
Are you asking if you can add an additional switch?  If so, yes it's simple enough, though the wiring gets messy and with a switched light intended for hub dynamos and the light mounted in one of the usual places, it really isn't necessary.  Maybe on some sort of cycle where you couldn't reach the light while riding it would be an advantage.
I added a switch when using a non switched light intended for a bottle dynamo with a hub, but the wiring annoyed me and I ended up going direct and it being on all the time, daytime lights before they were popular!

Aye , I’ve been having a look at the wiring on folks bikes and see what you mean about the wiring potentially getting messy . And more chance of one of the wires getting damaged somehow

Yeah, I’m thinking the always on option is a good choice , both day and night.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 08:20:09 pm »
Luxos U has a handlebar mounted switch with the USB port.

Never heard of that I don’t think , il take a look

ourclarioncall

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 08:24:38 pm »

Modern front lamps that are used with a hub dynamo generally have a switch that controls both front and rear lamps.

Not sure if I’m right but on some dynamo lamps , is there a third setting other than on or off? Like it’s on but it only comes on when it gets dark enough? A bit like how a streetlight/lamp post works

ourclarioncall

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 08:36:17 pm »

My recommendation would be to not worry about a switch, but rather run always on. And try to get lights with stand light function. This is small battery/capacitor that keeps lights showing for a couple of minutes after wheels stop turning. Enough to keep you visible when stopped at junctions or to read a map etc.

That stand light function could be incredibly handy if you get a puncture on a dark country road. Especially if you have those magnetic snap on things so you can pull the light off and turn it around and face the front wheel to see what your doing better .

mickeg

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 09:08:30 pm »
That stand light function could be incredibly handy if you get a puncture on a dark country road. ...

Stand light only lasts long enough for the red light to turn green, and a bit longer than that.  It is a to-be-seen light, not really bright.

I occasionally turn my lights on or off, but I can reach down to the light and turn them on and off without looking at them.  Why do you want a handlebar mounted switch, pretty close to nobody uses one. 

The exception I mentioned, the Luxos U has a USB charger on a cable, that cable hangs from the handlebar switch.  And with that bike you likely want to turn the lights off when using the USB charger so there is a reason to have a switch.