Author Topic: Nomad Mk2 front fork steerer tube  (Read 1657 times)

KDean

Nomad Mk2 front fork steerer tube
« on: October 16, 2021, 04:05:18 pm »
Should there be any play in the steerer tube ?( The bike is practically new.) When I apply the front brake I can rock it back & forth slightly ,is it designed like this as  I don't get this with my other bikes .

RonS

Re: Nomad Mk2 front fork steerer tube
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 05:29:46 pm »
No, there shouldn’t be any play. It sounds like your headset needs adjusting. It’s a fairly simple procedure. If you’re not familiar with the process just find a YouTube video. One thing I do when checking play is to turn the handlebars 90degrees to ensure the play is in the headset and not the brakes.
Good luck

KDean

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 06:03:23 pm »
Thank You .

lewis noble

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 08:11:54 pm »
I'm not too familiar with the Nomad 2 - I presume it has the Aheadset type of headset??  i.e. bolt in the cap at the top of the steerer tube sets the bearing tension, confirmed by tightening the stem bolts??  That is easier to deal with in my view than the quill system, which needs headset spanners to adjust the bearings.

Again, youtube videos can help identify what you have and how to sort it. 

You are right, the fork should have little if any play in it when you push it to and fro against the front brake, but avoid overtightening - enough to stop play, no more.

Lewis

PH

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 09:04:44 pm »
Make sure it is the headset before you start adjusting, plenty of youtube guides, basically there shouldn't be movement between the fork and the headtube,  there's several reasons a bike might rock that have nothing to do with the headset.
How did you get the bike?  Did it come boxed with the handlebars needing turning?

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 11:22:33 pm »
I try to feel if there is actual movement between the fork and the headset when I rock it back and forth with my fingers.  Otherwise you might feel play in a brake or some other part, but if that is where the play is you would not notice any movement with your fingers touching both headset and fork.

Also, if the headset is loose, if you lift the front wheel off the ground a few inches and drop it so the front wheel bounces up and down a few times, any play at the headset should cause a few extra noises that you otherwise would not normally hear.

There are lots of good videos on youtube and there are a lot that are very bad.  Any video from Park Tools should be considered quite trustworthy, that is a very good place to start if looking for general bike mechanical youtube vids.

In the interests of full disclosure, I am biased, I grew up in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.  Park Tools is located only a few miles from there.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 05:52:42 pm »
Did you get is sorted ?