Author Topic: Thorn Mercury 650b owner review  (Read 19317 times)

PH

Re: Thorn Mercury 650b owner review
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2022, 10:00:52 am »
And, I love riding this bike. (Did I give you that impression?)
I think that comes across clearly  ;D
Glad you're getting on so well with it.  Your impressions are broadly in line with my own, I see it very much as a sports tourer, somewhere between a touring bike and an Audax, maybe slightly more towards the latter.  That's how I feel about mine anyway, other riders with different bike builds may come to different conclusions. I've used it a few times for short B&B type tours, but mine isn't suitable for a camping load, even with lightweight kit (15-18kg), I'd be at the top end of (or slightly over) the recommended weight limit. That doesn't make it unusable, but it exaggerates those handling characteristics that are a pleasure unloaded and it become less of a relaxing ride.  The way to see how it suits you is of course to load it up and give it a go. Look forward to hearing about it.

I sometimes tour in a group, usually a club where the riders know each other, I enjoy the social side and the shared experience, but there are compromises on the riding and the route. Mostly I tour on my own, not often for longer than a couple of weeks, more likely ten days. My solo tours are mostly about the riding, sightseeing from the saddle rather than between the rides.  I'm fine with my own company for a couple of weeks, though that's probably enough for me, I'm usually glad to get home.  One thing I notice is that people are more comfortable talking to a solo traveler than a group, I'm more likely to have interesting conversations with strangers when alone.  We're not all the same (Thank goodness!) I know people who won't ride solo even for a day and others who love their solitude.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 10:09:05 am by PH »

SteveM

• Its allright Ma, I'm only bleeding.
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2022, 11:43:22 am »
I've used it a few times for short B&B type tours, but mine isn't suitable for a camping load, even with lightweight kit (15-18kg), I'd be at the top end of (or slightly over) the recommended weight limit. That doesn't make it unusable, but it exaggerates those handling characteristics that are a pleasure unloaded and it become less of a relaxing ride.

Mr Blance claims 25kg for 'sweet handling' plus 2kg on bar bags and 2 ltres of water. That's for road focused touring, with sealed or good surfaces.  But I agree, the lighter the better!  Here is  his holiness' chart from the 'Bible.'

John Saxby

« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2022, 09:48:47 pm »
I was wondering if any of you Thorn devotees have toured a Merc and what were your conclusions?

Steve, I bought a new Mercury Mk 3 earlier this year.  Ian's review played a significant part in my decision, tho' I had to sell a couple of other bikes to make it happen, one of them a splendid 2013/14 Raven.

In mid-August, I wrote some notes on an overnight journey I made in late June -- here: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14555.30  This is in the thread, "Rides of 2022", posts around #42.

All very positive  :)

PH

« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2022, 09:25:54 am »
mine isn't suitable for a camping load, even with lightweight kit (15-18kg), I'd be at the top end of (or slightly over) the recommended weight limit.
Mr Blance claims 25kg for 'sweet handling' plus 2kg on bar bags and 2 ltres of water. That's for road focused touring, with sealed or good surfaces.  But I agree, the lighter the better!  Here is  his holiness' chart from the 'Bible.'
The brochure does make interesting reading, though now you have the bike, opinions are best formed by miles ridden rather than words written.
In case it wasn't clear, I was talking about my bike and my experience.  A few Mercury riders have posted their opinions on this forum, they are quite varied, which is what you'd expect, much of it is subjective, even from the designer!
My bike has a suggested 16kg sweet handling luggage load and a 110kg maximum weight limit, by the time I've added clothing, tools, water, bar bag and panniers to my 92kg, there isn't 16kg left to hit that sweet spot, as I said mine isn't suitable for a camping load.

Moronic

• Amazon.com Bongs For Steve ebook
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2022, 03:33:10 am »
Absolutely loved reading of your experiences on the Merc, Moronic thank you.  Surprisingly little on the twitterweb about this bike.

<big snip>

Thanks Steve. Great to hear that you're enjoying the bike so much, and that you're experiencing the review as accurate. I've also enjoyed reading your comments on the bike, which seem to reinforce mine.

Just on the touring front, 25kg sounds like a fair bit to me, and maybe not necessary if you're touring in places where you're never more than a day or two from resupply. I believe Andy B when he says the Merc can handle it, but I don't think he meant to suggest it as a target to aim up to. I'd have thought you could get a fair way with 16kg if you packed judiciously and used lightweight camping gear.

Reiterating what I said on where to put the load, I was simply amazed at how easily the Merc carried 12kg all in rear panniers last time out, as opposed to the same weight largely in front panniers the time before. Suddenly I saw where Andy was coming from in his appreciation of the way the bike could whisk 25kg along if it were a rear biased weight distribution.
Bongs For Steve: a lyrical novel about smoking and friendship. https://www.amazon.com.au/Bongs-Steve-I-J-Baker-ebook/dp/B0B2BRTKM2

SteveM

• Its allright Ma, I'm only bleeding.
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2022, 12:12:05 pm »

In mid-August, I wrote some notes on an overnight journey I made in late June -- here: http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14555.30  This is in the thread, "Rides of 2022", posts around #42.

All very positive  :)

I have just read your post John and commented on that, thanks for flagging it.  Insightful and helpful as ever!