Author Topic: +++ Rides 2022 +++ Add yours here +++  (Read 1317 times)

Andre Jute

Re: +++ Rides 2022 +++ Add yours here +++
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2022, 02:45:31 PM »
Dramatic photo — and I too was just about to ask where you got the blue discs…

Is that sunwhitened guano on the Bass Rock and the other hill, or snow that hasn’t got the memo that Summer starts on 1 April, not coincidentally April Fool’s Day?

navrig

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2022, 04:15:00 PM »
Dramatic photo — and I too was just about to ask where you got the blue discs…

Is that sunwhitened guano on the Bass Rock and the other hill, or snow that hasn’t got the memo that Summer starts on 1 April, not coincidentally April Fool’s Day?

The white is probably more grey and comes from, mostly, birds (gannets) rather than guano.

More info here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_Rock#Fauna_and_flora

PH

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2022, 01:50:08 PM »
I'm selling the Eclipse and my Raven to part-finance a lovely new  gunmetal Mercury Mk 3.  This is nearly assembled, & shd be ready to go in the first week of May. Hope to do my first rides in the Gatineau hills across the river shortly, notes & photos to follow.
Big changes!  Hope the new bike is everything you want.  Look forward to your impressions when the time comes.

Andre Jute

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2022, 02:50:27 PM »
Thanks, Navrig. The island certainly has a dramatic history. I didn’t know guano isn’t a generic name for all bird dung clinging to a rock.

John, I hope you’ve arranged with the new owners that you’ll be keeping your broken-in saddles…   — (signed) JOHN BROKEBACK BROOKS esq

Andre Jute

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2022, 10:05:35 PM »
Apologies for not having a more dramatic photograph but, since for the first time in near enough two and a half years I've been out on my bike several days in a row, I've been inspecting favorite lanes to discover whether they still deserve to be favorites or have degenerated during the Chinese Pandemic. To my pleasant surprise, the County Council has used the nearly traffic-free time to restore some of the lanes to at least a level state. This particular lane has only two houses on it, and hadn't been resurfaced in the twenty-odd years I've been using it to avoid riding on a lethal road (black spots every few hundred yards), except for irregular pothole filling which was often a cure worse than the disease. But now they've run the chip and seal machine over it, and it's level and when the loose chips are gone will be pleasant to cycle on.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2022, 10:30:51 PM »
My! You surely live -- and ride -- in a marvelously scenic area, Andre!

Best, Dan.