Author Topic: Re-lacing the Rohloff wheel  (Read 1750 times)

buffet

Re-lacing the Rohloff wheel
« on: June 21, 2021, 09:39:24 am »
Is re-lacing the Rohloff wheel still considered a very bad idea due to high probability of flange damage? Or it's fine as long as I use the same lacing pattern & Rohloff spokes?

PH

Re: Re-lacing the Rohloff wheel
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 09:53:13 am »
Re lacing to the same rim size? Changing wheel size is considered a bad idea, though not always disastrous, it's an increased risk, how much of an increase is impossible to quantify.  Re-lacing the same rim size and keeping the same pattern is far less risky, for those with rim brakes pretty much inevitable, some people have been through many rims without issue.

buffet

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 10:05:49 am »
I was pondering the idea to lace it to a wider rim. Both rims are 29", but the ERD of the new rim is 6mm different from the original one, which results in shorter spokes. Is this an example of a bad idea?

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 11:28:40 am »
I would also add the flange support rings if the are not already fitted https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rohloff-hub-gear-spares.

PH

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 11:45:22 am »
I was pondering the idea to lace it to a wider rim. Both rims are 29", but the ERD of the new rim is 6mm different from the original one, which results in shorter spokes. Is this an example of a bad idea?
I'd say that was less a bad idea than some, SJS did similar for me and I had no problems with it.  Really bad idea is like changing a 26" to a 700c, that didn't work for me, but others have got away with it.
Every time you move the spokes is worse than not moving them, that goes for any hub, it isn't specifically a Rohloff thing. How much you move them, how often, how well matched the tensions, what use... everything will count, which is why it's impossible to quantify.  For me, I wouldn't swap a rim unless it was absolutely necessary, I have one at the moment which isn't the ideal rim, but don't intend changing it. But then if I had to, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

buffet

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 03:18:41 pm »
PH, thank you. That was pretty much my understanding as well.

Tiberius

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 05:19:46 pm »
A UK Rohloff main dealer (not SJS) re-laced my disc Rohloff hub from 26" to 700c approx' 18 months/5000 miles ago - the hub shell support rings were added at the same time. All good so far, though I accept it's early days.

The Rohloff main dealer that I used didn't bat an eye re the change in rim size. I'm happy to PM the name of the main dealer that I used.

Caveat. I'm not an expert on this stuff, hence the reason why I sought the opinion, and expertise, of someone who is.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 05:23:44 pm by Tiberius »