Author Topic: TRP Spyke levers compatible with Cantilever brakes??  (Read 2531 times)

Aleman

TRP Spyke levers compatible with Cantilever brakes??
« on: May 17, 2021, 11:31:42 am »
Not sure if this should be in the Muppets Thread actually :D anyway here goes.

In spite of having the Raven Twin, work progresses on converting and renovating our Dawes tandem to flat bar, and Rohloff rear. ... Mainly because we want a bike that we can leave with a mate in Mallorca for when we are allowed over there again :D ... In addition to improving the gearing, I also want better stopping bower than the original Weinman canti brakes. As you may be aware I am a fan of Magura Hs-33R hydraulic rim brakes, but there is a problem with the Dawes Forks, in that the canti-posts are to narrow to allow the Maguras to fit (Require an 80mm post gap, the Dawes forks are 70mm) This actually also prevents a "nice" set up using V-Brakes, which was my first thought, as I had a couple of pairs supplied with my "Box Of Bits". So I'm back to Cantis for the moment on the front, as with Koolstop salmons with the drop levers the performance was OK, if not really what I wanted.

My difficulty is finding a Canti compatible lever in black to match the bars, and the Magura lever on the other side SJSC unfortunately have nothing in black, so I've been looking at options. Now as far as I am aware any linear pull lever should be compatible with caliper and cantilever brakes (??) and also cable operated road bike disc brakes. To get to the point, FINALLY, are the TRP ML800 Levers linear pull, and therefore compatible with cantis?

PH

Re: TRP Spyke levers compatible with Cantilever brakes??
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 01:59:26 pm »
My difficulty is finding a Canti compatible lever in black to match the bars, and the Magura lever on the other side SJSC unfortunately have nothing in black, so I've been looking at options. Now as far as I am aware any linear pull lever should be compatible with caliper and cantilever brakes (??) and also cable operated road bike disc brakes. To get to the point, FINALLY, are the TRP ML800 Levers linear pull, and therefore compatible with cantis?
No, linear pull is the non Shimano name for V brakes.  Cantis are the same cable pull as road callipers, V/linear levers will pull too much cable.  For black road levers the Sora grade are fine (BL-R3000), I've used them on several bikes.