Author Topic: Thorn Brevet 'Special Edition' for sale  (Read 4603 times)

NealP

Thorn Brevet 'Special Edition' for sale
« on: May 04, 2021, 11:29:55 am »
Hi all...  I'm looking at finally letting go of my Brevet SE as despite best intentions, marriage / family (and age), has determined it really deserves a new owner who will use it as it deserves.  A unique bike, bought from SJS in the late 90's.  A Lee Cooper build (serial No prefixed with LA), this full frame Reynolds 531 has the SE tri-colour paint job.  Built bespoke but I'm 6'3" with 35" inside leg - so reckon around the 60cm frame size in today's money..!  Running gear specced in all the right places, Mavic MA40 rims on XTR hubs / XT Crankset with 105 27 speed STI (Ultegra front shifter).  Brooks 'swift' titanium saddle (though may retain that as now a very hard to replace..) / Blackburn MTN rear rack / inline pump and so on.... 

So hopefully as can be seen, the good money spent in all the right areas and a very handsome machine to boot.  Total mileage since new less than 2k (completed the Malin to Mizen route and some training rides but that aside, last 20 years life in the garage....).

Am about to put it on the normal sites for sale - but if anyone in the forum wants the 1st shout for this unique bike then by all means just give me a shout.  Either way, hope you like the shots of what is a great looker (ok, so I'm biased but hey  :-) 

in4

Re: Thorn Brevet 'Special Edition' for sale
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 11:56:48 am »
What a stunning bike. A fabulous prospect for a taller person. Someone will have a great  summer steed.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 11:31:19 pm by in4 »

NealP

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 12:24:56 pm »
Thanks in4 - a few more images too.  Hopefully ends up going to a good home eh...?

slugelise

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 05:40:47 pm »
Is this still for sale Neil?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 06:13:52 pm »
On seeing this beauty, Dan to legs:

"GROW, GROW!"  ;D

Best of luck on the sale, Neil.

Dan.

slugelise

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 08:09:38 pm »
On seeing this beauty, Dan to legs:

"GROW, GROW!"  ;D

Best of luck on the sale, Neil.

Dan.

i"m 6' 3" but only 33" inside leg. Hoping Neil hasn't sold it and that I can just squeeze onto it. It's a beauty.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 11:39:35 pm »
i"m 6' 3" but only 33" inside leg. Hoping Neil hasn't sold it and that I can just squeeze onto it. It's a beauty.
I hope you can, I think you can!  ;)

Please let us know if you get it, as it would be nice to see more of this lovely machine.

All good wishes and good luck!

Best,

Dan.

PH

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 06:22:43 pm »
That's a great looking bike, how can anyone have such a thing and not ride it for twenty years, surly that's a criminal offense, hope the new owner uses it as intended.

slugelise

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 10:02:52 am »
I dont think anyone takes the effort to spec a custom bike and spends that much on it, and then doesnt ride it without a good reason. Neil may not want to share that with us so lets not judge him.

He doesnt say how much he wants for it, and I've no idea what its worth. An old Brevet is usually worth a couple of hundred quid. I only paid £600 for mine new in 2006. Plus its huge so limits the number of people who can ride it. Its also full of 20 year old components that may be difficult to find replacements for when they wear out, old school quill stem, 25 year old group set, brakes etc. But its gorgeous, and virtually unused and probably cost well over a grand new.

He'd probably get the best price ebaying it. I wouldn't want to spend more than £500 on it, although that feels a little cheap. thoughts?

slugelise

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 11:09:16 am »
ok, a similar condition and age audax went for £850, so I guess the brevet is worth slightly less.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Thorn-Audax-Bike-/224468070848

NealP

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 02:06:14 pm »
Hi Sluglise.

Yep, bike is still available - and am looking at £625 to let it go.  Ideally collection (live in Ferndown / Dorset), but could arrange postage at buyers expense if needed..

If interested or anything else you'd like to know then just give me a shout ok..?

Neal

slugelise

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 02:26:42 pm »
Hi Neil,
thanks will PM you. Very fair price!

NealP

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 03:02:57 pm »
Tks Slugelise, will await to hear from you then as per...

Neal

slugelise

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 08:01:10 pm »
just checked my frame, its an LA as well. Never knew that meant Lee Cooper. must be one of the last, he left in 2005 and I bought it new from thorn in 2006. May be for sale soon.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 08:21:25 pm by slugelise »

Prince of Darkness

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2021, 02:43:40 am »
L.A. Cycles was Lee Cooper's company. Lee formed the company with another former worker from Orbit, when that company closed down. L.A. cycles were Thorn's main subcontractor, making most of their U.K. frames until they moved all their production to Taiwan. This led to the closing of that company with Lee Cooper continuing to make frames on a smaller scale 8)