Author Topic: Cycling Computers/GPS Navigation  (Read 2423 times)

Rouleur834

Cycling Computers/GPS Navigation
« on: April 22, 2021, 12:08:11 pm »
Hello all

Newbie here. Expecting delivery of my new Thorn in May and wondering what, if anything, people do about cycling computers and or GPS navigation. Basically, all my kit and mounts work on 31.8mm bars. I've found various shims and mounts for smaller bars but not the 22.2mm I'm expecting to be on my new bike.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Ray

JohnR

Re: Cycling Computers/GPS Navigation
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 02:39:52 pm »
Usually the computer mount is fixed close to the stem clamp where the diameter is either 25.4mm or 31.8mm. There are also mounts which fit onto the ahead stem.

Aleman

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 02:43:41 pm »
Both of the bars (FFT and Comfort) on our Raven Twin have 31.8mm Centre Swells, and there is plenty of space to mount a Garmin using the normal Garmin Mount. ... My K-Edge out front mount will also fit ...

I actually use a Faceplate out front mount on the Raven Similar to this one from JRC Components Except that mine is tiltable. ... From eBay IIRC

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 09:54:05 pm »
I've just spotted this 22.2mm mount in Wiggle Outlet https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164827125827 so they do exist, if needed.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 11:58:46 pm »
My preferred GPS(s) are Garmin 400T and 600T units which also work nicely for off-bike hikes and such -- both loaded with Open Street Maps. Despite a GUI that seems weird and awkward to me. I like the dedicated GPSs for their ruggedness, waterproofness, and water resistance and have backup navigation apps and maps for my phone, which I try to reserve primarily for comms and photography when I'm riding; when in lodging or have a fully charged power bank, the phone becomes my laptop substitute.

The mounts for these Garmins use cable ties, so are suitable for all handlebars and can even be oriented the long way, opening possibilities for centering on a stem or top tube. I have mine mounted on the fore-aft extension of the Thorn Accessory T-bars on my Nomad and Enduro-Allroad bike and on the handlebars of my randonneur bikes.

All my bikes are fitted with separate robustly wired bike computers, which I have found more reliable than wireless. These all have at minimum pace arrows, average speed, top speed, current speed, trip distance and total distance. Some have additional features that while fun, I find aren't really necessary. The bike computers nicely complement the navigation capabilities of the Garmin 400T and 600T. If you go with the Garmin hiking-oriented GPSs, be aware the company really doesn't support them for very long -- about 4 years from introduction. I find the heat and UV of my desert tours cause the rubbery plastic over the power buttons to perish, but an eBay seller in Russia has come up with a factory-looking replacement that super glues in place and restores waterproofness and function to new. Once upon a time, I invested in a full set of Garmin maps, but have since found the Open Street Maps (and their sometimes cycling-specific variations) to be as good as Garmin's if you also download topographic and shader overlays. Russian maps are also very good and highly detailed. I also carry paper maps and a good orienteering compass with me and know how to use both in case the electronics fail.

Best,

Dan.

PH

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 09:22:23 am »
I have a Garmin Touring and prefer stem mounting, puts it central and out of the way so it doesn't get knocked, have tried several options before settling on one of these (Not the exact one, but there's several similar on eBay)
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlu7s1wCc7P7xlp7Qy1F_tl6OjGPA06VMcI35A8-zTIc0JJx3R3q8&usqp=CAc

The simplest fitting is the rubber bands that Garmins come with, when I have mounted on the bar, that's all I've used.

Rouleur834

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 03:22:24 pm »
Many thanks to all who took the time to reply. Much appreciated. I believe the centre swell will be 25.4 and I have found a shim to take it up to 31.8. So glad, I can now use my existing kit on the new bike.

leftpoole

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 09:24:57 am »
I have a Garmin Touring and prefer stem mounting, puts it central and out of the way so it doesn't get knocked, have tried several options before settling on one of these (Not the exact one, but there's several similar on eBay)
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlu7s1wCc7P7xlp7Qy1F_tl6OjGPA06VMcI35A8-zTIc0JJx3R3q8&usqp=CAc

The simplest fitting is the rubber bands that Garmins come with, when I have mounted on the bar, that's all I've used.

I also use Garmin Touring because it does all that I require. As the illustrious Forum Member PH above so soundly advises, I too use the simpler method of fitting. I transfer between cycles as required.

j1of1

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 12:04:55 am »
Skip all the fancy GPS devices.   I'm assuming you have a smart phone.  If so, there are a boatload of excellent apps for navigating your way around the earth (e.g., Komoot, Google Maps, BikeMap, etc).   Fix your smart phone to your handlebars using a Quadlock.   Get on bike and ride - anywhere you want.   I pitched my Garmin - the screen was too small, it was difficult to plan out routes, and so forth.  Dependent on the length of your ride you might need anything from a battery backup to a dynamo in your front hub.