Author Topic: Clothing for touring  (Read 11672 times)

PH

Re: Clothing for touring
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2021, 10:18:52 am »
Socks : whose tried....

Sealskinz or Merino wool
Yes, have both.  There's lots of types and grades of merino, so it's like asking about cotton.  My Sealskinz are over ten years old and don't get much use, I can't remember when i last wore them, the tech has moved on, mine don't reflect what's available now, either from Sealskinz or the alternatives.  The couple of pairs of merino socks I have are just in the rotation in the sock draw, they're nice but I don't think I ever deliberately choose them.  The waterproof socks I prefer are the Showers Pass ones, but I wouldn't choose to wear them unless they were really needed.
I was at one time a huge fan of merino, I have a fifteen year old Howies heavy base/mid layer, 100% merino and several different weights and weaves, it's a piece of art and still gets a lot of use.  But I'm not sure I'd buy it again, there's way more choice now and when I do buy merino it's usually a blend, but I'm just as likely to buy one of the more modern synthetics,  my long sleeve Paramo Parameta knocked the Howies off the top spot this last winter.

ourclarioncall

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2021, 04:16:50 pm »
I’m hoping this year to buy a variety of items and experiment

One of main goals is to try and reduce sweat buildup in socks and underwear mainly , but T-shirt too. Should be fun and interesting

I’m just wondering how I can try and get accurate analysis of the effects

Possibly I could take a shower , go ride for an hour then measure results . Then reshower and change materials (say from cotton to Merino) and repeat the same ride with hopefully near identical conditions .

They saw that the amount of water you drink and have in your body can effect how much you sweat or don’t sweat. So I’m wondering if I should too my body up with the water ive lost from the first ride before I do the second .but kinda doubtful of how much that will make a difference but who knows.

Maybe I could skip the water intake and then on another repeat the same experiment but start with the materials the other way round .

Monday - cotton first ride / merino second ride
Tuesday- merino first / cotton second

I could try and eat and drink similar quantities of food and drink and hopefully sleep . There are things that can effect your water levels like too much sodium/salt causing water retention. There are times when the body can dump large amounts of water out of your system when your diet changes

ourclarioncall

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2021, 04:19:51 pm »
Also maybe just try introducing one new piece of clothing at a time and see how it works alongside the other pieces

I know I will frustrate myself looking for perfection but I’m confident I can find something better than what I currently have and I’d be happy with that step towards perfection 😁, even if it’s 10% better it’s something , but I’m hoping for a lot more than that

energyman

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2021, 07:07:06 pm »
Paramo every time.  It keeps you warm, dry and cool depending on which bit you wear and best of all when washed it dries very quickly on a line or back of a chair in the porch as I did with mt CICLO last night.
 Tilley underwear but Paramo make similar items.
Handy for B&B touring
Finally invest in a comfortable saddle then you don't need those padded monstrosities which, from experience, take forever to dry.
(unless you are in a desert of course)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 07:11:05 pm by energyman »

JohnR

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2021, 10:02:39 pm »
British weather will do its best to mess up any attempt to be scientific. There's temperature, wind and humidity to consider. Humidity is often overlooked but can be a big factor influencing whether sweat accumulates or evaporates.

My approach is to study the weather forecast and try to remember which clothing, or combination of layers, will keep me warm enough with the possibility of removing a layer or more should I get too hot (I much prefer to be too warm than too cold). Zips, preferably full length, on tops can provide a wide range of ventilation as needed. There are also tops with removable arms and trousers which convert to shorts to help address the temperature range which can be encountered in an all-day ride.

John Saxby

« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2021, 11:22:54 pm »
A few quick notes:

Conspicuity:  +1 for Martin's recommendation on a reflective Sam Browne.  I also use a simple reflective sash. I have a mesh vest with back-and-front reflective strips, but use this mainly for city riding, day & night.  Basic mantra here, though, is: Never assume motorists will see you. Always assume they will not.  (In 'Straya, they have a tidy abbreviation for the problem:  SMDSY:  "Sorry, mate didn't see ya!")

Jerseys:  +1 for the recommendation (was it Julian's?) on Ground Effect clothing. I have several, and they're all well-made and durable. Not cheap, but their quality makes them v good value. My preferred item is the dual-fabric, comprising an inner layer of merino & an outer layer of polyester. Only drawback to this for me is that above about 26 degrees, I need something lighter.

Rain jackets: I prefer a jacket cut for cycling.  (I have some excellent hiking and X-country skiing jackets, but they are usually bulkier/heavier than I want or need for cycling.) For 10-plus years, I've had a jacket made by MEC, and it still works well. BUT, it also weighs ~650 gms.
   The top-of-line Showers Pass jacket has a good rep, but my next one will be from Ground Effect, here: https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/collections/mens-waterproof-shells/products/anti-cyclone-performance-cycling-jacket  This is lighter than my current jacket by half a pound or more, and lighter than the Showers Pass as well, for a comparable price.

I also use a variety of short- and longsleeved merino base & mid- layers, depending on the season.  I've found Icebreaker to be the best.  Nothing beas merino's breathability and its stinkproof quality.

Socks: My choice in socks is shaped by the fact that in the past 20 years, I've had two DVT blood clots, one in each leg. So, I'm now on Xarelto for the duration, and I've reconnoitred the market in calf-length compression socks.

From this POV, I have one categorical recommendation:  The best socks I've ever worn are the over-the-calf-length merinos made by Swiftwick, in the U.S. I find these to be fabulously comfortable--nothing else even comes close. I've worn them by themselves in X-country skiing at -25 in Eastern Ontario, skating in similar temps, and underneath motorcycle boots (behind big BMW airhead cylinders) in the high deserts of the Western US, with temps in the high 30s. A decent second place are the merino/synthetic socks made by Ground Effect.  These are more durable, and their footbed is quite comfortable too. BUT their calf structure is too short for me, and their elastic band at the top is far too narrow at about 2 cms, so they're nowhere near as comfortable. (Swiftwick's elastic band is 5 cms wide, and that makes all the difference.) 

Swiftwick's over-the-calf merinos cost USD 35 a pair, so they're not cheap.  They offer ankle-high merinos too, and these are good for cycling, if you don't need the compression offered by the calf-high version.

As for UK brands, Bridgedale is durable, but that's all. The Swiss firm, Sigvaris, offers a full merino hiking sock, as well as a light-weight merino, both in over-the-calf height. for me, they're a step behind Swiftwick.

Hope that's helpful, though I recognize that my circumstances/requirements shape my preferences.

Cheers,  John
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 02:26:08 pm by John Saxby »

PH

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2021, 08:49:36 am »
   The top-of-line Showers Pass jacket has a good rep, but my next one will be from Ground Effect, here: https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/collections/mens-waterproof-shells/products/anti-cyclone-performance-cycling-jacket  This is lighter than my current jacket by half a pound or more, and lighter than the Showers Pass as well, for a comparable price.
That's a nice looking jacket, the sleeve zips are novel and remind me that on my favourite jerseys and jackets I can push the sleeves up to dump some heat. 
I don't think we've really covered it yet, but versatility is the key, I'd sacrifice a little of the waterproof ability for more usability when it's not pouring.  Paramo Analogy gets close, but the bulk makes it awkward to carry when not being worn.  Likewise base layers that can be mid, and of course when touring anything that functions just as well off the bike.  Two small items that can make a big difference are arm warmers and gilets.  I'm a recent convert to the gilet, now rarely ride without one, particularly at this time of year when the temperature can vary so much throughout the day. 

steve216c

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2021, 10:12:45 am »
John Saxby mentioned socks.

I too have to wear compression socks for similar reasons as John. But I find these are actually great for doing sport in. The non-pinching over calf design of these support your muscles and help relieve fatigue in every day circumstances. Not only when riding bikes. I am lucky that my health insurance pay for two pairs of excellent fitted compression socks per year- but which otherwise cost around a hundred pounds a pair.
I also substitute these expensive socks with some very reasonably priced but inexpensive sport compression socks which offer good ankle and calf compression without pinching similar to these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001604256975.html?albpd=en1005001604256975&acnt=708-803-3821&aff_platform=aaf&albpg=539263010115&netw=u&albcp=1582410664&pvid=0f8b94fb-5e58-4ead-8020-1d109912bc82&sk=UneMJZVf&scm=1007.23534.124736.0&trgt=539263010115&terminal_id=a5fcdbccbb4a46089cf4a68cd403a356&needSmbHouyi=false&albbt=Google_7_shopping&src=google&crea=en1005001604256975&aff_fcid=7ca3b2d1a4d64a74ad0d906d9ff8ee30-1619082230818-00581-UneMJZVf&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1I_Uo7-R8AIVi4zICh35AQTZEAQYASABEgIMQ_D_BwE&albag=59754279756&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&albch=shopping&albagn=888888&isSmbAutoCall=false&aff_trace_key=7ca3b2d1a4d64a74ad0d906d9ff8ee30-1619082230818-00581-UneMJZVf&rmsg=do_not_replacement&device=c&gclsrc=aw.ds

They are not as good as my prescription socks, but are still very good and supportive at a fraction of the price- and better than flight socks I've purchased at the chemists shop. I've even ordered the same for friends who wanted such socks for running in. They were also impressed with the compression and the price as well as the brighter colour ranges for those who want to make a statement or match to their hi-vis jacket  8)

I  need to wear such long socks all year round for medical reasons. But they have an added advantage in the winter of also keeping feet and lower leg warm on colder days.
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...