Author Topic: Clothing for touring  (Read 11755 times)

ourclarioncall

Re: Clothing for touring
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2021, 03:45:00 pm »
Lots of good comments, good food for though .  BIG topic

ourclarioncall

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2021, 04:13:09 pm »
Anyone tried merino wool base layer ?

A few years back I did a bit of research on layering systems , mainly for hiking .

I also do a bit of open air preaching (yup, I’m one of them religious guys ☺️) so I had to figure out how to retain heat well while basically just standing around for hours in mixed weather conditions. I concluded a goose down feather type layer (jacket or body warmer ) was probably going to be an essential part of the formula . But that’s certainly not going to work for cycling in Africa 🤣.

But back to merino wool. I had looked at quite a few different bits and pieces . Some very pricey . But I had my eye on a good quality long sleeve top, that I think could work no matter what I’m doing or where I am

ourclarioncall

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2021, 04:26:22 pm »
Tyreon

I too can be very creative with my comments in the written word and I often confuse people 😊

It’s hard to understand a person’s personality/ sense of  humour /tone etc online sometimes

Now I’m starting to wonder .... just how sweaty am I ? On a scale of 1 to 10. Ah, that analytical brain kicking in again 😁

I’m about 16 tone in weight and think that may have a contribution , but also the clothing I’m wearing /the saddle /the weather , arrrgh , so mainly variables ! Guess I shall keep hunting for the needle in the haystack .

ourclarioncall

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2021, 04:29:05 pm »
Ah, sorry , just re-reading comments

In4 has already said he has tried merino wool

Anyone else ?

ourclarioncall

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2021, 04:33:30 pm »
As a few folk already touched on...

I think I may have to surrender my no fuss personality a little bit.

I’m considering a separate waterproof jacket instead of having to have a single year round waterproof jacket/shell

Also, with a move to a touring type bike there will be plenty storage for multiple types of clothing to be carried instead of a heavy sweaty backpack

The goretex shake dry stuff gets good reviews for being truly waterproof and also breathable .

ourclarioncall

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2021, 04:36:27 pm »
PH

Interesting point about the variableness (is that a word ? ) of soft shell clothing of stuff marketed as such .

I’ve only every had north face soft shell clothing

Maybe in the back of my mind I thought “soft shell” was a clearly definable material but maybe not , maybe it can’t be nailed down .

ourclarioncall

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2021, 04:43:36 pm »
Steve

Oh yeah, your right , it’s not actually goretex. I had searched up “hiviz soft shell goretex” and google pulled this jacket up.

My thought process is to buy a jacket that can cover worst case scenario northeast Scotland weather when I’m commuting to work , aswell as the bonus of having hiviz, but now I’m reconsidering after reading all the comments .

I like the look of the gore goretex jackets. The only thing is they don’t look tough enough for my worst case scenario weather . But good fit into a newly adopted philosophy.

I don’t wear a helmet , as I don’t spend much time on roads , but am considering getting one , and I guesss this would effect my clothing choice .

How does the rain interact with helmets ? I am just Imagining all the water going down my neck coz my cycling jacket has no hood , but is this the case ?

ourclarioncall

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2021, 04:46:36 pm »
Matt

It’s been in the back of mine after reading about your Ethiopia trip , as to what your wore when you were there and how you dealt with sun protection ?

ourclarioncall

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2021, 06:08:24 pm »
In4

Just been reading up people’s experiences/thoughts on paramo. What made you go for it? One U.K. guy said it’s the best on a cold rainy day as it keeps you a bit warmer than other brands like goretex etc. And I read it works differently.

On the merino wool top. You went with turtle neck with zip. I was looking at this option years ago and wondered if I would actually use the zip or not , or if I should just got for a non turtle neck one. What’s been your experience?

ourclarioncall

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2021, 06:21:46 pm »
Haha. That’s the way to do it

https://youtu.be/vIY1tMtULBA

JohnR

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2021, 06:34:12 pm »
In4 has already said he has tried merino wool

Anyone else ?
I've been using the same merino top throughout the winter as a base layer with choice of additional layers / top according to the temperature and it hasn't been near a washing machine but is still odour-free - a key feature of merino wool. That top is actually a long-sleeved polo shirt that I found in an M&S Outlet for a few £££ but I've got other merino tops from Mountain Warehouse (someone else also mentioned them) with the 1/4 zip https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/merino-mens-long-sleeved-zip-neck-top-p13070.aspx/navy/ (I normally have the zip open to allow a little extra airflow). It's usually possible to find a discount code to further reduce what is already a reasonable price.

I’m considering a separate waterproof jacket instead of having to have a single year round waterproof jacket/shell
Multiple layers is always reckoned to be better, both to handle seasonal differences and temperature changes during an all-day ride. Both water-proofness and breathability are relative terms with makers quoting numbers which should be comparable. Under-arm and top of back vents are desirable which, combined with a slightly open zip allow a bit of air circulation. For emergency use I always carry a thin but waterproof top which I know has zero breathability and quickly builds up a layer of moisture on the inside but is fine for a short but heavy shower. If a wet day is anticipated then a proper waterproof top is better but it's prudent to have provision for strapping it onto the outside of the baggage should the rain stop.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2021, 07:32:26 pm »
I offered my wisdom with a ;). I no longer preach. I knew a lot when I was younger,but have found out with increasing years I didnt know what I was talking about. I probably still dont. I sometimes pop in for a chat,maybe have a cuppa...then depart. I am pleased if others are pleased. Its good that not everyone is like me...or like everyone else: good to have varying cyclists countryside.

Lets hope covid goes away. Let us all hope we can get out this summer and the sun comes out.

Nice comment/view.

Personally, the older the get the more I realise that I know less than most other folks. So tend to keep it buttoned!
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2021, 07:43:43 pm »
Matt

It’s been in the back of mine after reading about your Ethiopia trip , as to what your wore when you were there and how you dealt with sun protection ?

I was only 600 miles from the equator so UV and sun intense. Any part of my skin not shielded, was burnt.
Had to learn the hard way - and even when taking precautuions - an ankle exposed, suffered within the hour.

Back to clothing - pick your bike, pick your destination and pick your clothing.
Buy cheap - buy twice.

Going by your previous posts - I think the bike is almost sorted.
Any thoughts you'd like to share with regards to location/destination?

If it's RTW, there are lots of directions and starting points. No need to start from your door-step. Although it's cheaper than flying to a start point and continuing - or biking home.
As with a bike - lots to consider on this topic. Wind direction, political situation, time of year - the list goes on.

I was fortuante in having family to support me in my dream. For some, the home situation can be a big problem to sort out before you take that first step.

And remember - for every year you wait - you've lost a year of cycling. ;)

Best

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

PH

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2021, 08:41:21 pm »
I no longer preach.

Why not set off that bit earlier, or set your goals a bit lower.

Sounds like preaching to me!

ourclarioncall

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2021, 09:24:36 pm »
Matt

Yup, as far as bike, First choice would be a new or used nomad, whatever fits. A close second I’d go for a new or used raven. Well, can’t get em new now but I suppose a lot of used bikes have had very little use.

Clothing, I might just buy a bunch of stuff and experiment before I go or as I go! At the moment I’m a poor man with expensive tastes which is not a good combo lol 😆.

My poverty is about to end this year tho, my American wife has received some stocks in IBM in inheritance so once that sells in the next few months I will be good to go on the bike buying front. Hooray 😃!!!

Since I can’t buy anything yet, i have been using the time to do all my research .

As far as trips . My first thigh was LEJOG  , or more likely T2B(Thorn to Boddam) pop down to England , get a bike and bike home . Give me a bit of experience. I would be a bit concerned about route planning for staying safe so could follow a good bit of tried and tested LEJOG routes. I could maybe even tag along with others for part of the journey i suppose. Don’t know if I would do BandB or camp. I lack so much experience in these areas. I thought about buying a small tent and good quality mat and sleeping bag and getting some practice sleeping in it outdoors at home just to get used to it. Was also looking at ways to build up my fitness and mileage on the current bike I have so I’m ready to go once I purchase .

If I buy a used bike , then might just bike home from wherever I buy it in the U.K.

I’d love to jump on a ferry or go through the euro tunnel and explore Europe. France and Spain . My big dream would be to bike to Israel and Egypt , spend some time there. I’d would be up for anything really . I would just need to get some miles , experience and confidence under my belt then I’m ready for the world tour

I am definitely READY to go, I don’t want to waste anymore time , especially if lockdowns kick
Back in later in the year. I want to make the most of the time

Family life is tricky just now . We homeschool 5 kids and it’s a big burden. But most of the time it’s a piece of cake. It’s just moments when things can get very intense ! I’m very blessed to have a wife that lets me go out whenever  I want within reason. She let me go to Ireland for 3 weeks in 2017 so I’m sure she would be willing to make sacrifices to let me enjoy my new bike
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 10:01:54 pm by ourclarioncall »