Author Topic: Seat Post clamp bolt torque  (Read 2607 times)

ChrisBarrett

Seat Post clamp bolt torque
« on: March 20, 2021, 10:25:39 am »
Looking for advice on what the max torque should be on the seat post clamp bolt on my Raven. I've got it at 6nm and it the saddle still turns occasionally. I'm paranoid about threading the clamp.

leftpoole

Re: Seat Post clamp bolt torque
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 11:48:06 am »
Tight. It will not break!

martinf

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 12:35:41 pm »
I think the bolt would probably break before you threaded the clamp. I had this happen a long time ago on a bike, it was a nuisance getting the broken off part out of the thread.

For my Thorns I followed the advice from this forum (can't remember who, maybe it was Dan) and cut a screwdriver slot in the seat post bolts.

And I put one slotted spare bolt in my touring toolkit in case I get a breakage away from home.

ChrisBarrett

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 12:53:52 pm »
Brilliant. Thanks for the reassurance. I'm off to crank it down then. No more slippy post for this fella :D

j-ms

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 01:57:33 pm »
Tight. It will not break!

I think the bolt would probably break before you threaded the clamp. I had this happen a long time ago on a bike, it was a nuisance getting the broken off part out of the thread.

For my Thorns I followed the advice from this forum (can't remember who, maybe it was Dan) and cut a screwdriver slot in the seat post bolts.

And I put one slotted spare bolt in my touring toolkit in case I get a breakage away from home.

Had a seatpost bolt snap on me too.  It was a real ^%$#^ to get it out.  The screwdriver slot in the end of the bolt is a good idea.

PH

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 03:53:58 pm »
Just keep an eye on the split in the seat tube.  Once this is touching, there’s no point continuing to tighten.  Both parts have some manufacturing tolerance it’s not uncommon for them to need a shim.  Is it the Thorn post?
I bought a secondhand frame with stripped threads so it can happen, though not sure how.  It was no big deal, I just used a longer screw and dome nut.
It is a good idea to remove and grease the seat post from time to time,  doing the bolt at the same time makes sense.