Author Topic: Will changing from 700c 32 - 28's help?  (Read 5756 times)

PH

Re: Will changing from 700c 32 - 28's help?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 03:54:49 pm »
I have schwalbe Marathon Tyres which I am happy with, so looking at the advice I will stick with them.
If they're the standard Marathons, they're quite slow, that's both my experience and shows up in testing.  They have other attributes so may still be your choice, but the same size in a different tyre such as a Supreme will be make more difference than the same tyre in a different size.
The Berto testing that Dan linked to is quite old and although it makes a decent starting point it doesn't take fully into account the way tyres have developed. There's isn't enough weighting given to the way a tyre reforms and the energy it absorbs in doing so, the effect of suppleness as it's often described.  It isn't mistaken, it's just there's more variation in tyre construction. You might find this makes interesting reading
https://www.renehersecycles.com/how-wide-a-tire-should-i-ride/

PH

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 03:58:46 pm »
Just looking at those Thudbuster Seatposts Dan referenced, never really knew about them but they look like a good purchase for my ride.

Will the Thudbuster ST sold on the SJS site fit my Mercury?

Ian
Mercury is 27.2 seatpost so the answer is probably yes.
But the Mercury is an extremely comfortable frame, if you think the comfort of yours needs improving, then wider tyres ought to be top of the list.

martinf

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2021, 04:25:48 pm »
I have schwalbe Marathon Tyres which I am happy with, so looking at the advice I will stick with them.

I might experiment a little with the tyre pressures though looking at Dans post.

Schwalbe Marathon are quite a good tyre, but there are others in the same 700C x 32 size that roll better.

Continental Grand Prix 5000 is supposed to be very free rolling, while retaining a degree of puncture resistance, but would be more fragile than your current tyres. I reckon I would be OK with these with a lightly loaded bike on good road surfaces, they are rated better, for both rolling resistance and puncture resistance, than the Schwalbe Ones I currently have on my old derailleur bike. 

While a lot heavier than the Continental Grand Prix 5000, the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme is significantly lighter than the standard Marathon, with less rolling resistance and (in my experience in other sizes) good puncture resistance and durability. I have Supremes on several bikes, but in fatter sizes than 700C x 32. I noticed the improvement in comfort and rolling resistance when going from standard Marathons to Supremes on my old utility bike (650B x 42).

leftpoole

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2021, 10:04:04 am »
In my opinion. 28mm will make the ride easier.
John

I guess it depends on what easier means to you, and as well as the way your bike is set up, e.g. with/without suspension, saddle type/ height etc.

THORN cycles are not fitted with suspension! 28mm tyres roll better than 32mm tyres in my opinion as a long time Thorn cycle owner/user of some knowledge,

PH

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2021, 10:37:21 am »
THORN cycles are not fitted with suspension! 28mm tyres roll better than 32mm tyres in my opinion as a long time Thorn cycle owner/user of some knowledge,
Opinion is always interesting, but I prefer to hear about experience.
Maybe you'd say what your opinion is based on?  Which wider tyres have you used and how did you find them?  Have you used any of the more recent ones? How do you think they compare with wider tyres from a generation ago?  I'm not suggesting you shouldn't express your opinion, but unless you say what it's based on, it can only be treated as theory.

steve216c

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2021, 01:26:58 pm »
In my opinion. 28mm will make the ride easier.
John

I guess it depends on what easier means to you, and as well as the way your bike is set up, e.g. with/without suspension, saddle type/ height etc.

I am not a Thorn owner, but a Rohloff rider on other brand with suspension fork. I also have a non suspension 28“ trekking bike and a 26“ non suspension MTB bike and have experimented with a number of tyre sizes over the years.
I don’t dispute that a Thorn will have its own riding dynamics which will be different from my bikes. But it is feasible that two Thorn owners with same model bike will have customised their bikes to suit their riding preferences. I don’t know if a suspension fork can be added, but certainly seat post suspension or sprung brooks seat would give different riding dynamics and perceived feel while riding same tyres on a bike with fixed saddle post and gel saddle as an example.
Apologies if I have offend you or other Thorn users by sharing a general biking opinion which is true at least for my 3 non Thorn bikes on what makes for easier riding. For me easier remains a combination of  speed and of comfort and trying to get a balance between the two.
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

ianshearin

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2021, 04:26:03 pm »
Thanks guys,  what a wealth of information there is on these Forums.

I have decided on the following plan:

I will stick with 32 and look at some other options for tyre make and model.

I won't bother with a thudbuster, they are expensive and I'm just not sure they are for me.

I have decided to get a professional Bike fitting, there is place not far from me.

I will Train as much as I can on putting the miles in before the trip so as to find out where my weaknesses are.

I will stop watching youtube videos of Cats...

Ian
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

PH

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2021, 07:24:43 pm »
Sounds like a good plan, though there's always time for videos of cats.
I had a bike fitting about twenty years ago, I found it very worthwhile, it made some changes to my riding position that I wouldn't have made for myself.  I wasn't immediately convinced, I had to be persuaded not to change them straight back, I'm glad I didn't as that information has been the basis of all my bike set ups since.
A couple of years ago, I also had a go at re-doing it with some instructions I'd read.  I came to pretty much the exact same conclusions.  You might find them useful
https://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/bike-set-up-2017a.pdf

ianshearin

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2021, 10:13:51 pm »
Thanks PH, thats an interesting text.

Ian
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

steve216c

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2021, 07:46:56 am »
Here is an interesting link comparing rolling resistance of same model tyre across different tyre width. It is not just the width of tyre but the air pressure you pump it to that make some results suggesting narrow is not always least rolling resistance.
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/schwalbe-marathon-32-37-40-47
If only my bike shed were bigger on the inside...

leftpoole

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2021, 09:13:36 am »
Opinion is always interesting, but I prefer to hear about experience.
Maybe you'd say what your opinion is based on?  Which wider tyres have you used and how did you find them?  Have you used any of the more recent ones? How do you think they compare with wider tyres from a generation ago?  I'm not suggesting you shouldn't express your opinion, but unless you say what it's based on, it can only be treated as theory.

I am certainly not 'one' who is a 'nerd' and so experience is experience. I wrote of my experience. My life has never had time like you and another couple of 'nerds' of this Forum to spend day upon day spouting statistics!
Get a life....
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 09:16:58 am by leftpoole »