Author Topic: 27.5 tubeless tyre recommendations  (Read 1959 times)

FaustoCoppi

27.5 tubeless tyre recommendations
« on: February 02, 2021, 04:15:15 pm »
The Schwalbe G One all rounds that came as standard OE on my Nomad Mk 3 are proving to be prone to visits from the fairy! Has anyone got suggestions about a suitable tubeless replacement tyre in 27.5 x2+ . I need a tyre that will be less likely to attract the attention of the fairy, for riding on tarmac and bridle ways/ By ways, I realise there is a trade off regarding tread etc and a compromise will have to be made, so, suggestions please ...

JohnR

Re: 27.5 tubeless tyre recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 08:45:19 pm »
I'm currently using Panaracer GravelKing SK tyres which are nominally 48mm but, in reality, the same size as the Schwalbe G One tyres which Thorn put on on my Mercury. However, I'm using them with tubes as I couldn't persuade the tyes to seat in spite of buying an air tank. I did about 800 miles before getting a puncture after which I've put some sealant in the tubes (and, so far, no problems in 680 miles). My experience with the G One tyres is documented here http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13962.msg103816#msg103816  - the front tyre was in good condition but the rear was well worn with a lot of little cuts which the sealant had fixed. However, I haven't discarded the possibility of using the G One tyres during the summer months as they do provide a comfortable ride with low rolling resistance but I'm also planning to try the Schwalbe Marathone Supreme which appear to have good durability and rolling resistance but are narrower (nominally 42mm). I've got a pair waiting in the garage which were bought when Wiggle were selling them for £29.99 before Christmas.

FaustoCoppi

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 12:22:42 pm »
Thank you, I too like the comfort and LRR  the Schwalbe GOnes offer, but finding them a bit too prone to visits, I’m running tubeless and using OKO agricultural vehicle tyre sealant which got a recent recommendation in the last issue of cycling UK magazine, I don’t really want to go narrower than 2” for the comfort aspect, I’ll certainly explore the two suggestions you posted.

FaustoCoppi

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 05:00:00 pm »
Found these on line, direct from Specialized at a significant saving, got to worth a punt especially as better weather comes and we are able to venture onto bridle ways once they dry up a bit...

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 09:55:31 pm »
That's a nice price for a tyre. I note that the listing at https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/slaughter-grid-2bliss-ready/p/131348?color=228558-131348&searchText=00117-6400 shows a 2.6" profile. Is that getting towards the upper limit of what will fit?

Should I want more tread than the Gravelking SKs provide then I've got a pair of second hand slightly used 54mm Schwalbe G One Bite also sitting in the garage. I'm planning to road test them out of interest when spring arrives and I'm more inclined to do some bike fiddling. They might then sit and wait for an occasion when a ride including substantial off-road sections gets planned.

PH

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 01:21:24 pm »
That's a chunky tyre, if you're buying tyres by the g that looks a real winner. Be interesting how that changes the feel of your Nomad.
Bad luck with the punctures, one of the selling points of tubeless is the lack of them, do you think there was something wrong with the sealant?  Might just have had a run of bad luck? A few years ago I had five or six punctures over a couple of weeks, that's more than I normally have over a couple of years, I was beginning to think I was being sabotaged! Then without changing anything I didn't get another for months.