Author Topic: My Mk3 Nomad  (Read 5551 times)

FaustoCoppi

My Mk3 Nomad
« on: December 26, 2020, 04:31:28 pm »
My new ( to me) ex demo Mk 3 Nomad, who is now called Ozzy.
I’m extremely happy with the bike which is an addition to the Thorn stable which is our Raven Twin tandem ( marathon) frame on which we’ve done several French cycle camping trips and visits to the Canaries and Sardinia as well as the CtoC. I also have the last Bridgwater built Brevet.
The Nomad ticks a lot of boxes for me and perfectly suits the type of riding we do since the first Lockdown when we started self supported ( no cafe visits!) rides, we saved lots of money! Al fresco elevenses stops, and not having to route a ride around a cafe is liberating!

[Fixed/rotated photo. -- Dan.]
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 08:37:40 pm by Danneaux »

FaustoCoppi

Re: My Mk3 Nomad
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 07:01:12 pm »
Without panniers

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 08:38:52 pm by Danneaux »

FaustoCoppi

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 07:05:33 pm »
Okay, anyone know why my pictures are oriented 90 degrees out?! They are taken with the iPhone camera in the upright position and appear square on in my photograph library!

FaustoCoppi

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 07:10:11 pm »
Brevet

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 08:34:22 pm by Danneaux »

FaustoCoppi

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 07:12:24 pm »
Okay, so I turned this using the edit function on my iPhone, hoping it would display as right way up
If I rotated it anti clockwise 90deg and clearly it didn’t work 🙄

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 08:36:14 pm »
Okay, so I turned this using the edit function on my iPhone, hoping it would display as right way up
If I rotated it anti clockwise 90deg and clearly it didn’t work 🙄
I fixed it for you. :)

When you rotate the photo, try saving the rotated version under a new filename. Sometimes that works. ;)

Lovely bike, stunning in that color.

Best,

Dan.

PH

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 09:47:35 pm »
very nice, quite a Thorn collection! 
What wheel size is the Nomad?
And the brevet looks stunning, was that a stock colour?  I looked at getting a Brevet as an Audax bike at one time, whatever the colour was it seemed drab, beige?

FaustoCoppi

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 04:51:02 pm »
Thank you Dan. PH, the Nomad has 650b wheels. The Brevet is painted RAL 2014 Bright Orange, not a stock colour.

FaustoCoppi

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 05:00:59 pm »
Ruby our Raven twin touring tandem

FaustoCoppi

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 07:20:38 pm »
The Brevet was found in a raw state during  a stock check having been ‘lost’ for a decade, the last Bridgwater built Brevet frame, it was painted RAL 2014 and fitted with Deore triple 10 speed 105 mix, the only part I’ve replaced are the wheels, the original Ryde Chrina rims which due to them being narrower on the internal rim width and slightly wider than advertised made mounting tyres, even folders frustratingly difficult, so I replaced them with Mavic A719 which have a more accurate  tolerance and tyres are so much easier to mount.

FaustoCoppi

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 07:24:32 pm »
Ozzy on the day I collected him from SJS and on the maiden ride.

FaustoCoppi

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 07:31:45 pm »
More of Ruby

Aleman

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 02:36:14 pm »
Ruby's lovely, and not a stock colour either :D. Is that a MK II with S&S couplings, or a MKIII? Given the fact that the last photo was taken in Rouen, (lovely town, visited when we did our tour of the Loire 25 years ago) I would guess at a MK II ... With the Spyre rear disk as well ... nice. Got to love the ability of the large double marathon frame to take that extra bottle, even in S&S configuration, although with all that luggage you need the extra strength and rigidity :D

Here's our "Raven", bought new from SJSC August last year, probably the last of the MKII size 5 frames.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 02:39:00 pm by Aleman »

FaustoCoppi

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 05:16:49 pm »
Aleman, thank you, RAL2032 if I recall, I think Ruby is a Mk3 , when we picked her up we were told there was a bit of an Hmmmm moment when the frame came out of its wrapping, but once built up they approved of our colour choice!
We had a great time in Rouen having had a ride on the train to get there, entertained by the train conductor who was also a mad keen cyclist, he helped us up the escalator into the concourse, you wouldn’t get that on GWR, when the new rolling stock came out a member of staff who was watching us struggle on board with her took great glee in informing us that once the new Hitachi train came into service we wouldn’t get a tandem into the bike carrier!

FaustoCoppi

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 05:19:26 pm »
The rear disc is in fact Hope tech 4 hydraulic.