Author Topic: Raven musings  (Read 3960 times)

PH

Raven musings
« on: September 12, 2007, 04:38:21 am »
It’s nearly three years since I received my Raven and we’ve ridden 16,500 miles together.  It was the last bike I bought, the longest I’ve been without buying a bike since getting rid of the car over ten years ago.  Maybe I’ve finally got it right. I have made a few alterations, so a few thoughts and pics for anyone who’s interested.

The wheels no longer match, the rear rim was replaced with a Mavic last year and the front recently with a Rigida Grizley Carbide.  I’ve been impressed with the braking on this, a slight improvement when dry, loads better in the wet, plus to don’t get that black gunk after a wet ride.  Only time will tell if they last long enough to be worth the money.  After a spate of punctures in June and July I gave up on the Pannaracer Hi-Roads and bought some Marathon Plus.  I was scared of the weight, I needn’t have been they make no difference to my commute times. Chains seem to cause a lot of trouble for some Raven owners judging by the posts on here.  Either I’ve been lucky or am less sensitive.  I’m on my third chain, though the second is still in service on another bike, they get the occasional wipe down and cheap oil squirted on.

I have been playing with handlebar and grip combinations for a few months.  Nothing wrong with the original set up, just I  felt it could be better.  I bought the Ergon grips and the Thorn Ergo bar ends and liked them both but had a problem. I couldn’t use the bar ends without the grips getting in the way (I have big hands)   I changed back and forth a few times before coming up with the solution. Get slightly wider bars and put a bit of space between them.  Looks a bit odd, so far it’s been very comfy, I’ve done a few 50+ mile rides, I’ll save final judgment till after a tour.

My poor battered, bruised and abused brooks.  After one too many soakings this year it became so saggy the leather would touch the seatpost over a bump.  I’ve laced the sides together which has pulled the top up.  That’s improved it, but it’s not as comfy as it should be, I might have to replace it.

My Carradice Pendle has also had a hard time this year, it’s faded more in the last three months than the last three years.  It seems to me the green material isn’t lasting as well as the black on my other bag.
There's also been a few things I’ve tried and haven’t kept.  I no longer use the second Schmidt light, I experimented with butterfly bars, inboard bar ends were sacrificed for the bar bag and Magura hydraulic brakes made way for the carbide rim. I don’t think that’s really a lot of changes or expense over three years. My only other real spending has been on lights, though that’s a whole different subject.  
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 04:44:34 am by PH »

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Raven musings
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 02:18:27 pm »
Hi PH,

What chain are you currently using? - Did the single speed chain not work out?  

The photo of your Brooks saddle seams to show little or no tension (extension) in the adjustment screw it.  I've now got about 7mm of thread in front of the nut and that is less than 1/2 your mileage.  Might be worth giving it a bit of adjustment before you bin it. (Slow adjustments required until it right again, say 1/4 turn anticlockwise every 2 day)

PH

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 07:58:17 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by stutho

I’m using another Connex 7Z1.  I was impressed with the first one after being sceptical to start with, it stretched a lot in the first 500 miles then settled down.  While the front wheel was away getting the new rim, I gave the bike a bit of an overhaul, including turning the chainring and sprocket, thought I’d start afresh with a new chain.  The original got moved over to my SS town bike.

quote:
The photo of your Brooks saddle seams to show little or no tension (extension) in the adjustment screw it.  

Yes I’ll have a go at that before giving up, in the past I’ve ruined a saddle by tightening the bolt but had success with lacing the sides. I might try a combination of both.  Sheldon Browns website recommends never touching the bolt.  

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 08:36:49 am »
Yes I read that too on the Sheldon site.  Little and not very often is probably the way to go.  Mine gets a quarter to half turn ever few months. (Only if I think it needs it.)  You probably know this already but don't try doing it when the saddle is damp.  I normally adjust it first thing in the morning so the saddle has had at least a night to breathe.

Swislon

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 01:11:06 pm »
I bought a second hand Brooks Swift a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how uncomfortable it was. I seemed to be bottoming out on the rails. It was supposed to be only a year old. Anyway I adjusted the bolt 4 complete revolutions and it is now as I expected it to be.
It seems that they are all slightly different being a natural material.
Steve

freddered

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 02:29:16 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by PH

quote:
Originally posted by stutho

I’m using another Connex 7Z1.  I was impressed with the first one after being sceptical to start with, it stretched a lot in the first 500 miles then settled down.  While the front wheel was away getting the new rim, I gave the bike a bit of an overhaul, including turning the chainring and sprocket, thought I’d start afresh with a new chain.  The original got moved over to my SS town bike.

quote:
The photo of your Brooks saddle seams to show little or no tension (extension) in the adjustment screw it.  

Yes I’ll have a go at that before giving up, in the past I’ve ruined a saddle by tightening the bolt but had success with lacing the sides. I might try a combination of both.  Sheldon Browns website recommends never touching the bolt.  

I've binned my Connex/Wipperman 7Z1 chain.  I like the chain but not the 'powerlink' which is almost a single-use item requiring chain-bending to fit.  I like to be able to split a chain quickly.

Can SRAM powerlinks be used on it?

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 03:02:27 pm »
SRAM power links are meant to be universal (providing you use it on a chain of the correct width).  However I have only ever used them on an SRAM chain, so proceed with caution.

PH

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 08:38:22 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by freddered
the 'powerlink' which is almost a single-use item requiring chain-bending to fit.  I like to be able to split a chain quickly.

Can SRAM powerlinks be used on it?

The fitting link is designed to be single use, the instructions say so.  It does that job fine.  I don't see any need to remove my Raven's chain till I'm fitting a new one.

vik

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 07:59:38 pm »
SRAM power links are meant to be universal (providing you use it on a chain of the correct width).  However I have only ever used them on an SRAM chain, so proceed with caution.

I have a really long chain on my recumbent made up of 4 different brands of 9 speed chain all connected up with 3 SRAM powerlinks and 1 KMC missing link.  I haven't had any issues with them after a few thousand kms and the SRAM powerlinks are fairly easy to take off and put back on.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com