Author Topic: Solar panel for touring  (Read 3426 times)

in4

Solar panel for touring
« on: June 16, 2020, 11:40:31 am »
Is there a consensus around any particular solar panel? I have a hub on my Nomad but here in Aus we get a modest measure of sunshine, some of which I’d like to put to good use.
I have a great Anker power pack so I’m not necessarily looking for a panel that comes with a battery.
Any experiences to share?
Thanks
Ian

Bill

Re: Solar panel for touring
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 02:13:47 pm »
I have a small panel for recharging my phone, its okay but not great.

I am going to refer you to the amazing Iohan Gueorguiev who carries a lot of electronics and recharges them with solar panels.

http://www.bikewanderer.com/on-the-road//power-on-the-go-solar-vs-dynamo-vs-battery-packs

in4

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 03:54:45 am »
Thanks for the link, much appreciated. What a great, informative read. I’ll carry on reading around the topic. Seems the quality of wiring and connectability are important issues to consider. Actual panels are affordable and available but how you connect them to your batteries and devices is key.
Ian

nikolar

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 03:53:57 pm »
I haven't experienced and knowledge of solar power. But I want to start to make something similar like in this review https://websolarguide.com/solar-thermal/!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 05:13:00 pm by nikolar »

in4

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 01:58:26 am »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 12:32:09 am »
As I mentioned here back in 2013, I bought two Joos Orange Solar panels. I'm still very pleased with them more than 7 years later. They sure have been durable in pretty extreme use. One dropped off my bike onto gravel during a bumpy downhill at 65kmh, another was run over by a car, one was dropped into a pond...no damage to either. They can be locked to the bike with a U-lock and I have found they charge more slowly but still consistently in the rain and inside a tent. The built-in Li-Po accumulator batteries are still good and continue to hold a charge.

Early models had a problem with their charging connector that was soon corrected; mine never had a problem.

Overall, I have found them good value for the money I paid. From completely flat to full, they require about 12 hours of bright sunshine to recharge completely; cloudy/rainy days mean they take a little longer. I never use them to charge my gadgets during the day. Instead, they do that overnight while I am sleeping in my tent and run them down to about 25%. During the day, I use my SON dynohubs on my bikes and sometimes on the Extrawheel trailer and charge via my Tout Terrain The Plug 2+, Cycle2Charge, or B&M e-Werks on my various bikes.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 01:55:05 am by Danneaux »