Author Topic: Edelux LED headlight...revealed  (Read 3779 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Edelux LED headlight...revealed
« on: April 12, 2020, 10:52:54 pm »
For those interested in the internal workings of an Edelux (and by extension, the Edelux II), here is an enjoyable photo set showing dissection:
https://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/koplampen/Schmidt_edelux/analyse/index_en.html

Best,

Dan.

energyman

Re: Edelux LED headlight...revealed
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 08:54:45 am »
Amazing- I can still remember my Ever Ready Bike lamp with just a battery and a incandescent screw in lamp ("bulbs are what you plant"), oh and a rusting metal body.
Mind you they were b-useless in the dark !
Happy Daze ;)

PH

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 03:48:04 pm »
Interesting.  That's quite a chunk of copper heatsink, I wonder how that compares to the B&M lights, I understand the difference in output is down the the Edelux having better cooling.  I assume the pin like part is the reed switch, if so that isn't at all how I imagined it.  Thanks for posting, though it's made me more not less curious, not curious enough yet to open one of mine up  :)

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 04:41:59 pm »
If anyone is interested, near the bottom of this page there are some photos of the internals on a Luxos U.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/randon/qob5ex7lrWg

PH

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 05:33:25 pm »
Thanks mickeg, more interesting stuff.  By the looks of it there's no heat sink, that can't be right can it?  In a plastic case there must be some way to dissipate the heat.
I accidentally left my 200 lumen metal cased battery light switched on for half an hour when I wasn't moving, I couldn't touch it for a good while it was so hot, I don't think we realise how hot these things get when the air isn't passing over them.