Author Topic: Rear light on dynamo lights not connected.  (Read 3077 times)

sd

Rear light on dynamo lights not connected.
« on: January 20, 2020, 09:57:42 pm »
There is an ewerk "thingy" on the bike I just bought.  I wondered if that was the reason it's not connected? Previous owner isn't being helpful. He appears to have owned the bike for a long time but rarely used it. In fact very rarely so he might not know.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Rear light on dynamo lights not connected.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 10:39:12 pm »
I have B&M e-Werks on both my Extrawheel trailer and one of my bikes. They don't preclude use of a taillight. It all depends on how the whole lighting/charging circuit is wired.

If it helps I have dyno-powered taillights on both e-Werk installations. They all play together nicely. The headlight is switchable and the taillight is slaved t run off the headlight, so it turns off and on with the headlight. On the trailer, I made my own USB DC power supply to rectify and limit the AC current supplied by the SON dynohub. I installed a microswitch on the rectifier/voltage limiter so I can turn off the taillight when I want to put all the hub's power into charging via the e-Werk. In practice it was probably overkill as the taillight (an LED B&M Toplight Line Plus) requires very little power even compared to my LED B&M Cyo headlight.

I can't see any charger-related reason why the taillight isn't connected.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 11:36:41 pm by Danneaux »

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 11:46:48 pm »
If you are not aware, most dyno powered taillights are wired to the headlamp the way Dan mentioned it.  Many taillights are not capable of the full hub output if no headlamp is wired into the circuit, so you can blow out the taillight circuitry if you wire it directly to the hub.

sd

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 11:57:04 am »
Thanks the tail light is fitted but not connected.  Will probably take it to bike shop one day. Not sure I would no how to do it myself.  Also I am very lazy